Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / ASME test joint
- - By doyenofcastle (**) Date 09-09-2008 13:22
for WPS and WPQ can any one tell me the dimension for the V groove joint to qualify 10 mm thickness ?I need lenght and width and from where we get this data .
Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 09-09-2008 14:02
for WPS and WPQ can any one tell me the dimension for the V groove joint to qualify 10 mm thickness ?I need lenght and width and from where we get this data .

No you dont, you need to buy the books and do some study!

Parent - - By dmilesdot (**) Date 09-09-2008 15:53
Why doesnt AWS get rid of this a/h?
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 09-09-2008 22:28
I felt that he gave appropriate advise. Anyone organization that is required to certify there welders for a project should have the code they are working to and know how to navigate it.
Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 09-10-2008 06:11
They did, but I came back.
Parent - - By michael kniolek (***) Date 09-09-2008 22:52
Doyen,
Please understand most of us here are more than willing to help, do not in anyway think that  rude comments are the norm even though the comment made does have truth in it, the way it was communicated to you was uncalled for. Question... Do you have the ASME code available to you, if you do not and will be doing code work it would be most benificial to obtain a copy and practice navigating through it. If this is a one time need for this infomation buying a copy would not be cost effective.
I do not have the code here right now i will try to provide somthing usefull when i can.
MDK
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 09-10-2008 00:34
doyenofcastle,
I agree with the other gentlemen about accessing books. Also, if you had mentioned the code I/we may have been able to assist.
However, I will give you a bit of information that I used when I was just starting out as a CWI.
For your procedure qualification (and probably welder qualification) you are going to need mechanicals and/or radiography.
Get on the telephone to the nearest testing laboratory and tell them what you want to test (eg 10 mm plate, 2" pipe, 6" pipe etc) and tell them what code it is to and generally they will tell you what size coupon they require to get all the necessary test pieces.
They should do this for you willingly if they are hoping to get your work.
When we used to test in New Zealand we would qualify a pipe coupon to ASME IX / BS/EN 288 (European) and AS4041 (Australian) on the one pipe and they would all require different size or number of test pieces so we would ask the laboratory what they needed first before we did the test.
Nothing worse than spending all the time and money on welding a PQR test coupon only to find out it is too small for the required tests.
Hope that helps,
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By Nanjing Date 09-10-2008 02:53
Shane, does the code not tell you the size of the required test coupon?
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 09-10-2008 04:11
Nanjing,
If you look very,very closely you will see there is no code nominated.
But if you polish up that crystal ball of yours and tell me which code he is working to I will get straight on to finding out the answer.
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By Nanjing Date 09-10-2008 05:02
Shane, if you look very closely there is no need to know the particular code and inspector 3.1 has already given him the answer in "buy the books" (I take it that English is not his mother tongue as he should have written "buy the code book" which would have made it easier for you to understand). You also quoted ASME IX and EN 288 which also gives dimensions of test specimens however as to the Australian Standard  AS 4041 is this not for shearing sheep?
Parent - By Shane Feder (****) Date 09-10-2008 05:27
Nanjing,
I refuse to lower myself to your standard.
Keep this up and it will be the last bl..dy cup of coffee you ever get.
Have a pleasant afternoon,
Shane
Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 09-10-2008 06:01
MDK,

It's not that I dont want to help (where I can)
However, if a certifying organization depend on an online forum in order to do the correct tests, something is wrong.

As I have said before, read the code books, and then ask if any questions.....we all know that code books can be hard to understand.
Another thing is, usually the questions asked here has a lack of imortant information which makes even harder for us to answer correct and thus make our answers wrong.

He also ask a question in another thread, which indicates to me that he dont have a clue about what he and his company is about to do.

Parent - - By Noel Tan (**) Date 09-10-2008 02:50
Doyen,

Please understand this is not an offence.
i do agreed with 3.2 inspector in the point that you might need a bit more study.
So, you can address your question which we can reply easily, meanwhile you can understand our reply.

Regards,
Noel Tan
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 09-10-2008 06:15
Gents; the title of this particular thread is "ASME test joint" which implies a base code of ASME IX, and ASME IX does indeed provide the dimensions necessary, HOWEVER ASME IX is NOT a stand alone Code, it is intended to be worked in conjunction with a constructing code; i.e., Boiler  & Pressure Vessel series or Piping series, for example.  Many lesser experienced people, Inspectors and Engineer's alike tend to think of ASME IX as an end all, be all code, which it is not.

It's unknown whether the constructing code requires impact testing, drop weight testing, hardness testing or any other series of mechanical tests that might be required.

That said, I have to say I agree with the other responses, if one doesn't at least have access to a Code and be "relatively" familiar with navigation of these Code(s), how on earth could one expect to properly implement and certify in accordance with said Codes?

This Forum is intended to provide assistance, share ideas and provide general discussion of matters applicable to our field, it is NOT intended to replace study nor provide consultancy on levels often requested.
Parent - - By doyenofcastle (**) Date 09-10-2008 18:01
any way gentlemen,I appreciate your cooperation just I want to say something , first I'm in the first stage of making my experience,second we're small company and we don't have senior in welding or QC,third we working by D1.1 and this job of ASME is urgent so when I wrote this question in forum I expected some help and I want to tell you something I read already the ASME but may be I miss the part which taking a bout the dimension of the butt joint so thank you any way about this kindest reply.
Parent - - By thomasyyz (**) Date 09-10-2008 22:48
In my book someone who calls himself a "welding engineer", shouldn't ask this.
Did you really take an exam for this title?
Parent - By doyenofcastle (**) Date 09-11-2008 10:12
If you don't like my questions plz don't reply or write
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 09-11-2008 03:18
Look at QW-463 for required tests (procedure qualification) you will have to do some math by referring to the specimen sizes for mechanical testing, which are located in previous graphics, tables, etc.  You'd better check what your constructing code requires though because it may add additional test requirements.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / ASME test joint