Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding Into Exitsing Weld Metal
- - By tom cooper (**) Date 09-10-2008 18:06
Not sure where else to post this question, but I know a lot of pipe welders pass thru here so here goes;

We are reworking some spool pieces by removing flanges and replacing with like kind, typically will be A105 flange onto A106 pipe or onto B16.9 elbows and tee's; applicable Code is B31.1; joints will be x-ray quality; pipe sizes are ranging from 3"NPS to 6"NPS and are XS.

In cases where we work into a Tee or Elbow, sometimes we cannot remove all of the previous weld metal or else we would be too short (as in the case of a flange welded directly to the tee or elbow). We are removing just enough of the previous weld metal to maintain dimension and allow us to cut a new bevel.

I am concerned that because we can't remove all the previous weld that we may inherit pre-existing flaws. Additionally we have no history of the inspection of the prehious weld or the fillers used, we can only assume it to be a correct 70xx filler and that they passed x-ray because the spools were in service for several years.

QUESTION: Are there any known Code rules that I can't find that disallow me from welding over existing unknown weld?  
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 09-10-2008 20:00
Tom,
Good Engineering Practice says that a flange welded directly onto an elbow or a tee should be a welding neck flange.
If you do like that, will your problem still exist ?
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Pualo - Brazil

Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 09-10-2008 21:28
Tom.
There's no prohibition that I know of for the practice. But keep in mind that from a technical standpoint the weld metal is now base metal. Which means that your previous A-No is now a P-No., but not really since your filler will not be listed in QW-422. Similar to welding on buttering passes.
As for previous flaws if you NDE the weld after completion your concerns should be mitigated
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding Into Exitsing Weld Metal