Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Todds Welding Inc.
- - By Sourdough (****) Date 09-10-2008 20:59
Beware of these guys - they have screwed contractors since they started here in this county. Making obscene amounts of money, while sitting in an office is what they are known for. They set up a bunch of work, but make their money off of the ones that actually do the work: (5% charge for payment, no hours for drive time although they charge it to the company, 65% mark up on material - but you don't get any of that, sitting in an hour safety meeting every day and not getting paid for it/even though on wed. you are there for 3hrs. and so on and so forth). Horrible, horrible people, that are bent on going to hell. Did you already read the part about them charging 5% for them to pay you?

The quintessential cut throat company, run by a family that started with nothing 6 years ago,but wants something from EVERYBODY now.

These are the people that would go on my island destined for napalm - if I had my way..........the whole family!
Parent - - By NMWELDING (**) Date 09-14-2008 04:35
Where is this company located? There is an oilfield welding company here in Michigan that kind of sounds like that. I`ve seen some of their welds,and it`s like my welding when I first picked up a stinger,terrible,terrible,terrible. And this was on a drilling rig,the owner of the rig won`t get them again. I heard the owner of this welding company  is a good welder,but he hires young kids that cannot weld. And this company started probably about 6 to 8 years ago.
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 09-14-2008 04:39
Being a michigander I was never aware of any considerable oilfield work in the state? where have you had jobs at (location wise?)
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 09-14-2008 19:33
[deleted]
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 09-14-2008 19:40
Pretty much sounds like they ought to be run off. 5p on structural?

Never even heard of that. Pretty sad!
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 09-14-2008 20:25
[deleted]
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 09-14-2008 20:43
Sounds like your typical out of state rig welder up here....................all mouth, and no skills!
Parent - By elliott (**) Date 09-14-2008 23:18
I should have you guys talk to my employer the head welder in the shop will  use 6011 for almost everything even base plate to column welds. Every know and then he use 7014 but few and far between. He say he has even experinced on cold day crack and make a ring sound. I now i have been doing it to long but you wouldnt that be from the 6011 cooling to fast with no preheat or post heating and i mentioed that they should use 7018 and he told m that i was the only one in the shop that could use (thats sad)because this guy supposed to be welding for 20 something years. That get pissed when I bring in rod for personal use to do there jobs but I think it should at least be tempted to do right.Dont mean to ramble the 6011 got me think. I think its time to move on out of the shop.
           Well hope everybody had good and safe weekend,
                elliot
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 09-15-2008 16:39
Hate to hijack anything but I need to know something.

I understand various project specifications have requirements above and beyond D1.1 AND I am not familar with AISC enough to say otherwise but Does D1.1 prohibit the use of ....

1) Non-Low Hydrogen electrodes provided the procedure is qualified?

2) Downhill Progression provided the procedure is qualified ?

I understand its not a "common practice" but that does  not necessarily mean it does not have a place.

I have recently looked into this myself and I find nothing that prohibits the above, just some practical restrictions. I  think that with all welds, the designer/engineer should "look beyond the code" for what can and cannot be done. But I am curious if anyone is aware of D1.1 completely prohibiting any of the above.

And boy am I gonna feel like an idiot if I missed it in D1.1 .
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 09-16-2008 11:24
Pipewelder

It is not prohibited in D 1.1 if it is qualified.  However, most building codes prohibit it, and many times they prohibit it by referencing another code or specification ( Incorporation by reference).  For all practical purposes Low Hydrogen electrodes are required for grade 50 structural steels and most steels are multi rated.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 09-16-2008 12:00
Thanks Joe,

That is pretty much what I thought. I was 99% positive that D1.1 does not prohibit the use of Non-Low hydrogen electrodes in the downhill progression at all provided the procedure is qualified.

So many things are accepted as "what the code says" when often they may only be a memory of something that was done on another job. I don't have the AISC book with me but am curious if the practice of using Non-Low Hydrogen electrodes and downhill progression is prohibited. I understand there may be restrictions but is it allowed ?

D1.1 is used and referenced in so many situations other than buildings but I am sure some of the "Standard Practices" used on buildings are sometimes carried over by engineers, inspectors, consultants etc without really deciding by engineering if the practice is fit for service.

I appreciate you time and your posts.

Gerald Austin
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 09-21-2008 23:23
".................hey Joe, where you goin with that gun in your hand..............."

I know you are correct with your reply, but I just gotta interject with this: how many structural jobs have you been on that didn't use grade 50 at least?

I've been on none.

In 18 years.
Parent - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 09-22-2008 14:06
Sourdough

I have been on two NY City buildings where some of the beams were A-36, and the Columns were A-572 Gr-50. 

In New York State, I have been on several bridge jobs where the beam steel and the miscellaneous steel was required to be A-36 and NOT A572-50.  However, these days, since NYSDOT is now using ASTM A709 steels, for a Bridge Steel specification, almost all the dual/multi rated steels listed in that specification make the grade 50 specification.  However, I am on a NYCDOT Bridge job now, where the MC-8 & 12 Channels do not meet the GR-50 mechanical requirements.  So, if it were not a bridge job, these pieces could conceivably be welded with E6010, or even "1109" rod!  (E-6011 read upside down).   I was also surprised to learn thatwhen  A-36 alone is specified, it cost more than dual / multi rated steels.

However, I think you mean that all structural steels should be welded with Low Hydrogen because they are also rated as gr-50 steels and I agree that the code specifies that LH must be used with gr-50 steels.  But a lot of companies still like to weld on "end connection angles" and base plates with E-7024.   On one job in 2000, (Port Authority) I had to make them re-weld all the joints with E7028.
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 09-22-2008 16:56
You won't believe this department!!!!

Those MC8s I just told you about.....  They are for stair treads on a pedestrian bridge.  The mill cut 3 of the stair treads too short, and the fabricator has to buy another length of the MC8.  The engineer just changed three of the stair treads to grade 50!!!???!!

Maybe a little CYA going on?
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 09-23-2008 01:16
Jet rod is what you are referring to. good for horizontal or slight upgrade..........?
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 09-14-2008 19:37
If you are asking me where I have worked the oilfield, here's the list: Alaska, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Tennessee, Missouri, New Mexico, Arizona,  Nebraska, and North Dakota.....pretty considerable if you ask me.
Parent - By NMWELDING (**) Date 09-15-2008 01:00
Michigan is an oilfield state,but just a drop in the bucket compared to the major oilfield states.
Parent - - By snuffman (***) Date 09-14-2008 05:11
They are out of Rifle Co. When I was up there I met alot of people that were not happy with them and stated the same thing. They are chicken ****s.
Parent - - By RioCampo (***) Date 09-14-2008 16:55
maybe we should start a list of companies to watch out for?
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 09-14-2008 19:40
Yep, watch out for Sourdough Welding unless you want to get run over............lol
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 09-14-2008 19:45
Yeah, I have heard you gotta watch out for that Sully guy. He is always wanting to get paid for what he does. Won't do anthing for free, and damn, what a temper!!! :-) LOL

jrw159
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 09-14-2008 19:56
Sonofa.........you know me well. I didn't attack you did I??
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 09-14-2008 21:11
LOL, Nope, I just pay attention once in a while. :-)

jrw159
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 09-14-2008 20:44
LOGAN - I offered you a job, where are you?

Get up here!
Parent - By snuffman (***) Date 09-15-2008 06:36
In Tx taking care of buisness and as soon as its taken care of most likely Ill be head north.
Parent - - By rig welder6 (**) Date 09-22-2008 02:15
sully met u at toby's shop this summer, u still around? i no work for toby anymore! not saying y, drop me a e-mail irwelder6@hotmail.com and  i get back at u.  got hooked up w/a pretty good guy now, but always lookin
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 09-23-2008 01:18
dont have a memory - sourdoughoz@yahoo.com

I know why........................
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Todds Welding Inc.