Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.2(2003) question.
- - By Kix (****) Date 09-11-2008 15:50
I understand that a 5F performance test qualifies my welder for all positions, unlimited thicknesses and diameters with the specified size pipe test, but would it be good for pipe to pipe saddled connections like T-K-Y?  I consider a pipe to pipe saddled connection a T-K-Y connection.  Am I correct in the way I am looking at this?  If I am then I need to do a groove weld pipe test to be able to have my guys weld on saddled pipe to pipe connections right?

Thanks, Ray C.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-11-2008 22:48
I don't have D1.2 in front of me, but I don't believe D1.2 addresses T,K, and Y connections.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 09-12-2008 12:04
Al, from what I see, it does cover T-K-Y for groove welds, but not for fillet welds.  When you do get it in front of you, could you take a look and see how you interpret it?  Page 29, Table 3.7 note 1 covers a tit bit right there and clause 3.19.3.

Thanks, Ray C.
Parent - - By motgar (**) Date 09-12-2008 18:15
Kix,

5F is only for fillet welds on plate and pipe.

When you say saddled pipe do you mean laterals and concentric or eccentric supports?
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 09-12-2008 18:22
I just mean like structural aluminum hand rails in a man basket where one horizantal tube is cut to saddle over the top of a vertical tube of the same diameter.  That makes it a T-K-Y connection right?  If so then I need to have my welder do a grooved pipe test instead of a fillet correct?
Parent - By motgar (**) Date 09-12-2008 18:44
OK.  Sort of like running a two line hand rail.  Copes or, notches I always heard them called.  I understand what you mean now.  Where a post intersects a top rail or, when an intermediate rail intersects the post.

If the circumference is divided into quarters; I would say two sides would be fillets, and the other two would be a flare bevel groove weld.  So yes, a grooved pipe test seems appropriate.
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 09-12-2008 18:44
With my limited experiance I would have to say Its definately a -T joint, and when welding the side its definatly not a fillet, it would be more like a groove, So IMO you would have to test for 6G or 2G and 5Gbecause that qualifies for all positions AND -T -Y -K conections!
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 09-12-2008 20:16
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.2(2003) question.