Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / information on work in alska
- - By js1369 (*) Date 09-12-2008 22:18
i have been trying to get into work in alska, most of my welding has been structual in the past.
would very much like to get into pipe again. any information would be helpfull.
everything I have found in the net,runs in circlesits no help at all.
Parent - - By welder_Bob (**) Date 09-13-2008 01:39
Alaska is a union state you will need to check with the unions up there.  I believe the 798 out of Tulsa does of all the pipeline work up there and I think the local pipe fitter union is 375.  I don't think they have had a call for Rig welders because all the union Rig welders that I know are still here.
Parent - - By js1369 (*) Date 09-13-2008 02:06
Thank you, I just requested some info. from the 798. I live near Tulsa.
Parent - By vagabond (***) Date 09-13-2008 03:12
364 is also the local pipefitters union in Alaska.  However there is a lot of non-union pipe work up there.  That's where I was born and raised and I would say the majority of the work done outside of pipeline maintenance is non-union.  And even that is both union and non.  Just my .02, Alaska is a word of mouth, reputation hire state whether your union or not.  If your not good, you won't last and in reality it's somewhat hard to get out the first time unless somebody knows you.  I'm not saying this is right or wrong, just saying this is the way it is in the areas I've worked.  Try CH2M Hill or ASRC Energy for starters . . . . . . a lot of fab shops on the North Slope are 100% X-ray shops.  They have a very low repair rate and are justifiably proud of it.  Bring your A game if your headed to the slope, without a doubt some of the best work there in some of the worst conditions.
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 09-13-2008 15:12
If you can't get in on the slope, there are a couple bigger fab shops I could get you the numbers for. Steelfab, and Quality Fab - in Anchorage. I worked for both them when I was a kid.

I grew up just outside of Anchorage
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 09-13-2008 18:16
quality fab is AES now. I worked there in '92-93.
whatever happened to gene and dave?
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 09-13-2008 19:44
Dunno, it's been so long since I've made the rounds. Everything has probably changed hands. Testing Institute of Alaska has sold out. The last time I called up there I had to make sure they sent me my old certs. I looked like an 80's rocker on my card, mullet and all.........

I worked for quality when they were rebuilding the fedex hanger. I believe it was around '92'
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 09-13-2008 20:54
what a memory, I cant remember what I worked on last month, much less in '92. I talked with rich metzger a few months ago, the names changed a few times. possibly worked together back then, I was night shift when I was there!
One of the guys was getting married we all pitched in and took him to one of the whorehouses for his bachelor party! he complained about the first whore and got a 2nd one,LOL.
had some good times there!
Parent - - By 4theluvofgold (*) Date 09-14-2008 08:36
I'm testing on Monday in town.  Been trying for 2 years to getting on the slope,  Word of mouth big time.  Or in my instance they got tired of seeing my resume with every single job posting.  Persistence is key unions are an option though if you can get in. 
Parent - - By ZCat (***) Date 09-14-2008 18:04
Hard to get on in Alaska from the lower 48, unless they are in a complete bind. CH2M Hill had an ad on Craigslist a few weeks ago for shop work in Anchorage, 6 to 8 weeks of 7-12's, they are paying $38 an hour now, went up 10 bucks in the 2 years since I left.
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 09-14-2008 19:44
You said it. There are only 300 thousand people in Alaska. You wanna talk about a small town...................good luck if you're from the lower 48 states.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / information on work in alska