Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / digital fillet weld gauge ?
- - By Heli-Arc (*) Date 09-13-2008 17:46
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to see if anyone tried the digital fillet weld gauge and wanted your opinion.
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 09-15-2008 12:45
I was disappointed with them.
Parent - By fbrieden (***) Date 09-15-2008 13:14
Why ruin a good thing?
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-15-2008 15:10
A regular fillet weld gage is a go, no-go type of gage, it's hard to get any simplier than that and it requires no batteries, fits in your shirt pocket, reads clearly enough in the proper light.....
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 09-15-2008 15:24
Also consider the possible need for calibration of the digital gauge. :-)

jrw159
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 09-15-2008 17:05
That need for calibration is a given in the nuclear world. Many others would also apply it as well. Even for the mechanical only types, depending on the task at hand there has to be some verification of accuracy/calibration in a lot of programs. Adding the electronic MT&E to the mix is just asking for trouble IMHO.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 09-15-2008 17:59
Bingo. IMHO this is a "novelty item" maybe those are not the correct words, but you know what I mean, it is cool, but that is all. One then must ask, "what price am I willing to pay for cool?"

jrw159
Parent - - By flamin (**) Date 09-16-2008 00:04
I never tried a digital fillet gage, I didn't even know they made them. But being in the machining business, I use digital tools often. I have alot of guys on my crew who use only digital, and guys who won't touch them. I personally never cared for digital. I still like the dials and vernier scales myself. (just something about them). As with many battery powered tools, if the battery fails, you have nothing. I always feel that there is an element of uncertainty with those things.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-17-2008 02:54
Kind of like a flashlight. Dead batteries, dead flashlight. A good argument for using candles. Oops, they run out of wax after a few hours.

Technology definitely has it's limitations and it is imperative to recognize those limitations. 

The digital fillet gage has limitation without a doubt. The pieces have to be perpendicular to each other and the gage is really simply measuring the throat dimension. Then again, I can see where it may be useful for measuring the convexity of the fillet weld and verifying it meets the limitations of D1.1.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 09-17-2008 05:09
"I can see where it may be useful for measuring the convexity of the fillet weld and verifying it meets the limitations of D1.1. "

Can you elaborate, the only thing I have found is a contour gage for checking convexity. I think it could be useful for checking reinforcement but a bridge cam gage or reinforcement gage will operate with a pocketful of dead batteries!
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 09-17-2008 16:27
Just curious on this, do the guys also know how to read a vernier scale?  I find that more and more people don't know how.
Parent - By flamin (**) Date 09-17-2008 16:36
That is true.
Parent - By Goose-em (**) Date 09-20-2008 02:59
Just get a bridge cam gauge and your good to go. 
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / digital fillet weld gauge ?