Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Anything in Casper
- - By Tyson (*) Date 09-14-2008 08:01
So about a week and a half ago I came out to Casper for a shutdown at the Dave Johnston plant. They sent nine of us packing and said to come back in a couple of weeks. I was pretty uspet I had made the drive out from the Tri Cities area and was being sent back for some type communication error on the the contractors part. I decided to stick it out here until the work starts but I'm getting raped for $700 a week in this Days Inn. Anybody know of any reasonable places here in town? Also been going stir crazy in this hotel. Anything I'm missing out on doing in town? Figure i should make the best of the situation.

Thanks Tyson
Parent - By CK Welding (**) Date 09-14-2008 19:34
Grab your fishing gear and head up the river.  This area has some of the best fishing in the world, you can't miss out on that.  Grey reef out by Alcova is the best fly fishing I have ever found, It is fly only but I promis a trout over 20", anything under 20" you have to turn back and the limit is one fish over 20"s.  Good luck I hope this was some help.
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 09-14-2008 19:48
You're gonna have to go south, close to I-80.

Try Rawlins, Rock Springs, Or Wamsutter. Lots of work, I aint kiddin you. I left there cause my wife started drinking.

Nobody wants to live there, but if you are a single man you will make a killing. I did.
Parent - By Tyson (*) Date 09-14-2008 21:19
CK I had heard there was some good fishing out here I'm glad I brought my gear. Never leave home without it. Haven't done any fly fishing in a long time though. I'll have to go check it out. Thanks

Sourdough I do a lot of work south of here Kemmerer, Rawlins, Rock Springs, and Vernal but they're all shutdowns.  I'm a boilermaker tryin to get my foot in the door in the pipeline field. I know there is a lot of opportunity out there. I'm single and have no kids so I figure I'll get out there and make some good money in the field. What I lack in experience and knowledge I know I can make up in hard work and the drive to learn.
Parent - - By vagabond (***) Date 09-15-2008 00:11
Shilo Inn 50 bucks a night.  Free breakfast and wireless.  I'm heading up to the DJ plant on the 18th, I'll be the lead QC on nights.  You need to tell them you want the power company rates at all those motels up there and they'll just about cut their rate in half.  If not they think your a hunter or a tourist and they'll sock it to ya. 
Parent - - By Tyson (*) Date 09-15-2008 00:16
Vegabond thanks for that tip. I was having a hard time even getting into a hotel without a week or two advance reservations. Told them i was out here for shutdown but they weren't helping me on the rates. I'll be working for Irwin Industries starting the 20th maybe I'll see you out there.
Parent - - By vagabond (***) Date 09-15-2008 01:06
If your on nights you'll definitely see me.  I go by Dutch and I'll be there on the 18th,  I didn't tell them I was there for the shutdown I told them I was with the power company (in a roundabout way) and that's when they gave me the discount.  I'll be with Irwin also,  last I checked Shilo still had rooms and Best Western also had them for 60+tax I think, but no breakfast at the Best Western you gotta pay for it. 
Parent - - By K.Sexton26 (**) Date 09-15-2008 04:23
what is irwin paying out there now vegabond 30/120 7-12s i've been doin pipe work for 3 years straight and been itching to do a outage. i took a ROF 2 months ago ready to do something. i worked in gillette,WY awhile back outta colorado local at WYODAK plant close to town and irwin had most of the major tube work on that job when we got finished one of there supers come and asked me and my tube partner and a few other travlers if we would hire in with them, my partner took it offensive because he's hardcore union and declined needless to say i stayed behind with a guy from alabama and welded tubes like mad men. hell irwin was paying better and had 4 weeks of tubes to weld the local scale 26 and sum change 40 a day sub not even enuff to cover the room, irwin payed us 30/110, and payed the motel bill because they were hard up for help cause nobody could get a room that was a busy town we lucked out for the first 8weeks got a room at motel6 for 60 a night then after four weeks the sandman jacked it up to 70 but everywere else was 80-95 a night so we didn't ***** to much. the only thing that bothered me about that job was our foreman was navjo indian and seemed kinda prejudices but all in all they treated us better than the local union hands did, hettinger welding had work all over i wish i'd tryed to hire out with them they had 3 or 4 rig welders puttin in tanks and piping at that plant it was all tig root lohy out they had some topnotch guys. i don't know if all of WY is like gillette but they rape construction hands on motel rooms when spring and fall outages roll around i think the methane fields were booming when we were there in 2005
Parent - - By vagabond (***) Date 09-15-2008 15:00
I sent you a PM.  I'm not sure if they are still taking on welders, if they are it'll be 30/100 plus travel in and out.  I don't remember what they pay for travel,  my deal is different.  4-5 weeks of 7/12's days or nights.  Lots of Navajos for sure and some are prejudice but hey so are some white folks.  I guess if I was in their shoes I might be a little prejudice too I don't know.  I had one bow up on me in the test booth one time and told me I didn't like Indians,  I told him he was right. . . .  told him I didn't like white people much either,  then I told him most of the time I don't even like myself!!!   That shut him up. . . .  I don't care if they are purple if they can weld tubes.  Should be a nice little shot in the arm before the holidays.  Make some money and get out of Wyoming before winter sets in.  I've always liked working with Irwin, decent outfit, decent money.  I live in Colorado so it's right next door for me.  I'm going to hit this one then probably go to Rifle and find some pipeline work this winter.
Parent - - By K.Sexton26 (**) Date 09-15-2008 15:38 Edited 09-15-2008 15:41
that sounds like a winner, that job was ate up with navajo's quite a few of them were union hands outta arizona local some were real nice just like everything else i worked with all kinds of nationalities but that was the first job i ever felt like the minority ya know.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 09-16-2008 12:36
if ya ever get to south texas you will be the minority lol
Parent - - By vagabond (***) Date 09-16-2008 15:04
Yeah also in Arizona, New Mexico and parts of Colorado and most of California. . . . . we just live in northern Mexico!!!!
Parent - - By Tyson (*) Date 09-16-2008 15:44
Vegabond finally got the call today. Will be out there early sunday. I usually work nights but might be on day shift this time around. You will probably see me out there I'll be the only asian in a group of navajos
Parent - By vagabond (***) Date 09-16-2008 16:46
I'll be there Thursday morning, I guess I'll be on days til monday then I'll be on nights for the rest of the outage.  Sounds like they are full up on welders,  I had a couple of guys who wanted to go but when they called they said they didn't need any more. 
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Anything in Casper