Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Want to Pipeline
- - By Rick Fowler Date 09-15-2008 05:15
  I have a couple of questions on the issue of pipeline welding. One subject is on the actual welding procedure and the other subject is the Pieliners Union. First of all though, I will say that I am a journeyman pipe welder with 20 years under my belt having started my career immediately after high school in 1988. I am proficient in TIG and STICK welding of carbon, stainless, and chrome alloy pipe and have worked in paper mills, power plants, chemical plants, and refineries throughout the southeastern United States. I am not trying to learn to weld but I am interested in a different field than what I am used to and that is where my questions come in. I am currently between jobs and trying to teach myself to downhill with 5/32" 8010-G rods. It is my understanding that is the standard rod for filling and capping on pipeline jobs. I am using 1/8" 6010 for the root. I am using two different test procedures in my "homeschooling". The first is the standard 90 degree branch test used by most pipeline companies. Although I could not get 12" pipe locally, I did find some clean 8" pipe at the local recycling center. I am comfortable with the root pass using the 6010 rods but when I start capping, things get kinda rough. I know that at this point I need more practice but what I need to know is if I should try to cap in one pass or can I cap in two passes. When I test for most jobs you are allowed 3 or 4 stringer passes on your cap depending on the size and schedule of the pipe and it is usually up to the welder. When welding the branch test, is the pipeline procedure carved in stone or is it up to the welder as to how to cap the weld? Also are you allowed to choose what size rods you want to use?
  I am also training on some 4" tube with a wall thickness just barely over 1/4". I am welding it downhill in the 6G position with a 1/16" landing and a 1/16" gap. I am dragging the 6010 and running just enough heat to keyhole the weld. The root is flush to just above flush and looks fairly consistant all around. My problem on this procedure is with the 8010 rod (again). When I start down the side of the pipe, the rod has a tendancy to stick around the three o'clock position. Although I am new at welding downhill and new to this rod also, I did not have that much of a problem with the rod sticking on the 8" branch weld (yes I am welding the branch downhill in the overhead position). My thoughts on this is that the 5/32 rod is too big for 4" because when I turn the heat up enough to burn the rod, I get a large, uncontrollable puddle and when I turn the heat down, the rod wants to stick and is hard to start without leaving a large lump at the restart. I used some of the 1/8 6010 rods and had no trouble with restarts or sticking. I am welding with a '78-79' model SA-200 and could use some advise on the best setting to burn the 8010 rods. ANY advise on the pipeline welding procedures will be appreciated.
  Now for phase two of my questions. Pipeline welding is something I have been considering for the past couple of years and I have considered joining the Local 798 Pipeliners Union in Tulsa. Although I have never worked Union I have thought about it a lot in the last few years or so because in the private sector, there are no benefits at all unless you are lucky enough to get with a company that hires you "full time". I have never had this luck. At least with the union I think I would feel like I was part of something and would have at least some benefits after a certain amount time was put in. I did contact the 798 Hall and was told that I had to have at least 5 years of downhill experience to join as a journeyman welder. Otherwise I would have to join as a helper. I can respect having to start at the beginning of a new path in your career but I don't think I could pay my bills working as a helper. If I did join as a helper, how long would it be before I would be allowed to take the test for journeyman welder? As I said I have been welding in heavy industry since 1988 so I basically would have to change my procedures, not learn how to weld. And I feel that with some more practice, I will be able to pass the tests soon.
This is something I am doing more than just talk about as I have recently bought a '94 F-350 Powerstroke 4x4 with a flatbed and also the lincoln Sa-200 mentioned above. I think I have most of the equipment in my personal shop here at home to get it set up (torches, gauges, bottles, grinders,ect.) What would be considered the minimum required tool setup for a rig truck? Thank you all for time and response, Rick.
Parent - By JTMcC (***) Date 09-15-2008 17:11
On line pipe you will typically see beads run with 5/32" rod, and everything after that will be 3/16" or 5mm rod. Those are the rods you need to able to run.

The quickest I know of a hand going from helping to welding is a little less than a year. You would still have a helpers book but would be allowed to weld with it and draw scale, at least as long as the boom lasts.

Keep in mind that mainline construction isn't just a different type of welding job, it's a trade in itself.

JTMcC.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Want to Pipeline