Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Sheet steel to structural steel
- - By apodesta (*) Date 09-16-2008 00:16
I received a wps for sheet steel to structural steel

The contractor would like to use it cover welds joining 18ga galvanized cold rolled steel, to A36/A500/A572

I had some questions about the validity of it...

The wps contains the following info:

Joints: Flare V and T joint as joints

Material spec. type and grade:
Sheet Steel: A653-94 Gr33 to A653-94 Gr33
Support Steel: AWS D1.1

Thickness range:
Sheet Steel 18Ga. to 3/16"
Supporting Steel :Any AWS D1.1
Thickness: 1/8" to unlimited

I have D9.1 and D1.1 handy...

D9.1 states that a change in thickness to less than .5t or to greater than 2t, where t is the thickness of the thinner metal qualified, requalification is required, and D1.1 covers 1/8" to unlimited...

This WPS appears to state that thicknesses qualified for sheet steel is 18ga. to 3/16", where 3/16" clearly is greater than twice the thickness of the 18 ga (as well as a material thickness covered in D1.1)...

It also appears to state that "supporting steel" can range from 1/8" to unlimited thickness...

So...

How does the sheet steel thickness include steel up to 3/16" inches thick when 2T of the 18ga. galv crs is .102"

And if no Structural Steel Spec. is listed, how can supporting steel be of any steel covered in AWSD1.1?

Thanks for your help,
-Andrew
Parent - By matthew medearis Date 12-15-2008 02:01
how about D1.3.  Both the sheet steel and the supporting member sound like a common connection of "pan decking (concrete form)" to a supporting structual steel member.  Not really sure about the joint designations though.  Also any "AWS D1.1 steel", I have never heard steel refered to as AWS D1.1.  I know that our WPS covers 20g and thicker to A36, A500, A572 steel members with electroding grouping F3 and lower
Parent - By Ke1thk (**) Date 12-17-2008 21:21
Apodesta,

The 18 ga seems to be at the low limit for the WPS. 

I had a pre-qualification audit today with a new customer and a TACOM representative.  The codes were D9.1 and D1.3.  The TACOM representative had an issue with one of my PQR weld samples.  He instructed me to weld another one and macro-etch it.  I did, and he was satisfied.

Macro etching isn't mentioned in either code.  The point is that if that's what the customer wants, that's what he gets.  I'm not going to argue with the Department of Defense.

If your customer is telling you to use the weld procedure, do it.  It's his responsibility (and liability) if he's issuing the work instructions.  Use email as a documentation trail. 

If you are absolutely sure he's wrong, point it out to him.  Consider the application of the weld.  Is it critical?

Keith
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 12-17-2008 21:37
Is it possible they have numerous PQR's for the WPS?
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Sheet steel to structural steel