Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / welders certificates
- - By doyenofcastle (**) Date 09-16-2008 17:15
the certified welder according to ASME can weld under D1.1 and vice versa
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 09-16-2008 17:35
A qualification other than D1.1 can weld under D1.1 with approval from the Engineer of Record.
Parent - - By pataterchip (**) Date 09-16-2008 18:57
We deal with this all the time both for our shop and from outside vendors, IMHO and from experience with engineers most (but not all) will allow either cert as long as it is requested in writing BEFORE the welding is started. It becomes another issue post welding. I have never seen it in writing in either code book anything that would allow you to make the decision it has always been up to the EOR.
My $0.02
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 09-16-2008 20:25
pata,
My experience has been the opposite. Only allowing what is called out in the specs.
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 09-16-2008 20:37
when doing qualifications I test to ASME IX and D1.1 that covers both and you dont have to get an approval.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-17-2008 02:46
There are some differences in the acceptance criteria for the bend tests for AWS and ASME. Although they seem to be minor, a bend can pass ASME, but be rejected per AWS D1.1.

Likewise, there are differences in the visual acceptance criteria listed in Section IX of ASME and AWS D1.1. Typical discontinuities such as undercut, overlap, porosity, etc. are not addressed in Section IX.

Are the two equivalent? Not in my mind.

This is the visual acceptance criteria of Section IX:

QW-194 Visual Examination -- Performance
Performance test coupons shall show complete joint
penetration with complete fusion of weld metal and base
metal.

Less detailed than that listed in D1.1.

Best regards - Al 
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 09-17-2008 03:08
I agree ASME sec. IX is less detailed than D1.1 but if it qualifies per D1.1 then it would in most cases Qualify for ASME. All the testing I do I have RT'd( except GMAW-S) but bends qualified to D1.1 would also qualify to ASME.
Keep in mind there are the occasional tests that I only qualify to one standard but for the most part its more cost effective and less hassle to add both standards on the P.O.
Parent - By swsweld (****) Date 09-17-2008 03:27
doyenofcastle, I'm not sure if this is of any use to you but ASME IX QW-303.1 Groove Welds states that welders who pass the required test for groove welds shall also be qualified to make fillet welds in all thicknesses and pipe diameters of any size....

The contract specifications should dictate which code or standard the welder should be qualified under.

We are installing an underground pipe system that has large valve pits. In the pits we have pipe stands that require AWS D1.1 quals as stated in the applicable specs. The applicable pipe specs reference ASME B31.1 that references ASME Section IX. We qualify welders to both codes.

"the certified welder according to ASME can weld under D1.1 and vice versa" = yes, as long as they are qualified in both or the EOR approves it.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / welders certificates