Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Lincoln NR 212
- - By fbrieden (***) Date 09-16-2008 20:13
Need advice for a demonstration tonight. What's the best way to eliminate/minimize the spatter I'm getting with this wire? Been all over the volt/amp range and did reduce the problem slightly, but that was with a drag technique. ESO is between 1/2" to 3/4" (no nozzle). Thanks guys!
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 09-16-2008 20:45
Hello fbrieden, forgive me if these seem like really basic questions as I don't mean to belittle your questions in any way. What diameter of wire are you using? I would basically agree with your choice of stick-out length if you are using the .068 diameter wire, if you're using the smaller diameter wires it is likely a bit too much. As the diameter of the wire decreases the stick-out should also. Have you verified that you are using the correct polarity for this wire? The Lincoln technical information calls out for straight polarity/gun-, ground +. I also believe that you will see the best results for welds profiles and characteristics by using a backhand method of gun travel(as you put it, dragging). As to the parameters, I was surprised by the lack of information available on Lincoln's site, here again, the diameter of wire will certainly influence these parameters: wire diameter, voltage, wirespeed/amps, will yield a number of different results for each of the various wire diameters. If you could supply just a bit more information(wire diameter, material thickness, joint type, weld position) it is likely that everyone can help you out a bit more and be more specific with their tips. Best regards, aevald
Parent - - By fbrieden (***) Date 09-16-2008 21:23
Thanks for the response!

It's .045 wire, and I've been just trying surfacing and inside corner joints; flat and 2F. I have been referring to the parameters on Lincoln's website. The power source is a Lincoln CV-300, and the wire feeder is an LN-7. The voltage and amperage meters are well within suggested ranges, as verified by a calibrated (9/2/2008) Fluke meter. The polarity is DCEN. Also, the material, A-36 3/8" plate, has been grit blasted as well as ground.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 09-16-2008 22:49
Hello again fbrieden, I believe for the .045 dia. wire that you will want to use between 3/8 to 1/2" stick-out. I do have another question regarding the wire, has it been out of it's packaging for any appreciable length of time or has the packaging been damaged in any way that would allow it to be contaminated with moisture? The self-shielded wires can be really finicky about the levels of moisture that are present in a shop area and I have never had much success trying to dry a roll out that has been exposed to the point where moisture becomes an issue. Normally the issues associated with moisture contamination show-up as: excessive spatter, possibly intermittent pinholes throughout the weld bead, rough surface profiles, in some cases the slag coating is very uneven(this condition can also come from incorrect volt/amp ranging). I hope this will be helpful to answer some of the issues that you are experiencing. Best regards, aevald
Parent - By fbrieden (***) Date 09-17-2008 00:46
Used the parameters suggested on the Lincoln website and we were getting superior results with 20.5 volts @ 190 amps. ESO was 1/2". Brand new wire from the same lot number as the other 25 spools I have used with no problems. No spatter, porosity, or undercut. Did a dry mag also, with no indications.
Parent - - By fbrieden (***) Date 09-17-2008 00:24
Situation resolved, embarrassingly. A defective polarity switch was the culprit! A VERY good friend,
Mark Buskovitz, suggested I try switching the cables. Problem gone. Just the type of incident to bring a person back to the KISS philosophy.

Thanks again for your help guys!
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 09-17-2008 00:54
That's great fbrieden, glad to hear you figured it out. Sometimes it is the obvious but not so obvious things that bite us. Best regards, aevald
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Lincoln NR 212