Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Heat input range for SAW
- - By qaqcmpm (*) Date 09-17-2008 05:37
We qualified a WPS for SAW process using 3.2mm filler wire (amps -383 to 404 volts-29 to 32 heat inpu 1.5 KJ/mm) but in production i intend to use 4.0mm filler wire what is the current/volts/Heat input range i can follow? it should be within the range of same as mentioned for 3.2mm or can i follow manufacturer recommendation? but in PQR test run we have not used 4.0mm filler wire and WPS qualified with impact (asme sec 9/sec VIII div 1). Any input/views?
Parent - - By Nanjing Date 09-17-2008 06:30
I am afraid your onto plums with this. If you are thinking of using a larger wire to increase deposition then you will have to weld outwith the code.  You cannot increase heat input or increase the volume of weld metal deposited per unit length as your procedure has been impact tested (QW-409.1).
Parent - - By qaqcmpm (*) Date 09-17-2008 07:27
YES but is there any upside/down side tolerances can i have in amps/heat input? or otherwise have i to stop using 4mm filler wire?
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 09-17-2008 13:20
This question depends. If you intend on using bigger wire and higher heat input on non impact test regime work all you have to do is revise your WPS. Just becasue you qualify with impacts does not mean you are restricted to Supplementrary Essential variables on your WPS.
Parent - - By qaqcmpm (*) Date 09-18-2008 04:40
so your advise is to revise the wps or requalify the wps? for 4.2mm wire the max current is 550amps/31 volts travel speed is 440mm/min now the heat input reaches 2.4 KJ/mm instead of our specified range in the wps 1.5 KJ/mm.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 09-18-2008 12:20
A few things. If an impact requirement is imposed you have to requal to increase heat input. If not, you can revise. You have to revise because if the WPS says heat input control you have to do heat input control.
Also, 1.5 kj/mm is actually very low for SAW. Thats normally about where I'd prefer my GTAW.
Also, there is a fundamental misconception that higher heat inputs necessarily cause lesser impact toughness. This is mostly true of single pass welds where grain growth is a more predominant phenomena. But in multipass applications quite often the increased heat input can penetrate deeper into prior beads and actually normalize a larger volume percent of the those beads and thereby improve impacts from the original deposit. But too much heat input and now the grain growth HAZ of prior beads starts to enlarge and predominate and again reduce toughness. Good heat input control is actually a window not a maximum.
Anyone dealing with duplex stainless steel is painfully aware of this.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Heat input range for SAW