Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Ovens/furnaces for drying electrodes
- - By Kulkarni (*) Date 10-09-2001 07:12
At the fabrication workshop where I work the low hydrogen welding electrodes are dried/baked in electrical ovens/furnaces.
As piped natural gas has become available recently, people are wondering about using it for the electrode ovens/furnaces.
Anybody knows about such an application/supplier?
Any comment about practical aspects or anticipated problems (like contamination?) will be appreciated.
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 10-09-2001 16:52
I haven't seen a gas fired rod oven.
Water vapor is a byproduct of combustion with gas burners, the very thing we want to avoid in low hydrogen electrodes. Unburned gas could be a source of hydrogen as well. I really don't know if these would be absorbed into an electrode coating at temps above 250 deg F but I have a feeling it could be a problem.
I would think that in order to avoid contamination an oven would need to be indirectly fired and vented. That sounds complicated and bulky compared to electric ovens.
Not being in an area where natural gas is readily available yet I have to ask, would you be saving that much money by using gas?
If you do find gas rod ovens, I'd be interested in the info for comparisons.
Just some thoughts
CHGuilford
Parent - - By Kulkarni (*) Date 10-11-2001 09:32
Some of us are very concerned with the huge electricity bills and are looking at various ways of reducing them.
If we find any supplier I will post the comparitive info. here.
Thanks for your comments.
Parent - By BCSORT (*) Date 10-12-2001 00:01
It sounds to me like you have many smaller ovens or some very large ovens constantly running for this to be an issue. In either case I am confused why you have so many rods that need to be heated at one time. Do you use many different rod types or many of the same type? How many, and how large are the ovens you are using? Could a better consumable delivery plan help the situation?
Parent - - By mviovens Date 06-12-2015 05:53
Yes direct gas fired oven is successful for electrode heating as it is clean fuel and doesn't make any oxidation for smoke inside the oven.

You can have a look at

www.mvi-ovens.com/Gas-Fired-Welding-Electrode-Baking-Oven.html

Regards
Mohit Verma
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 06-12-2015 15:54
Didn't read the link, but remember that water is a byproduct of most combustion and the heated chamber will need to be separate from the combustion side.
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 10-18-2001 17:46
As far back as June, 1973, I authored a short article on Power magazine explaining how I built an electrode drying oven using LPG (liquefid petroleum gas) as a fuel.
The problem arose because we were constructing a natural gas compressing station in the Patagonian desert of the south of Argentina, 70 miles away from civilization. Power for the jobsite was supplied by a 45 kW diesel generator set and I wasn't willing to have it running all night just to keep the electrodes oven turned on.
So, we designed and built an electrode oven heated by the combustion of LPG. Special precautions were taken to prevent the electrodes from getting into contact with the combustion gases, which, as Chester Guilford points out quite correctly, contain water vapor.
If interested, let me know your address and I'll send you a copy of the article.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-12-2015 16:17
While this is an interesting subject, why is a post that is a decade old resurrected?

Al
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-12-2015 16:18
SPAMMER.

But, according to the powers that be, we don't need any more moderators to help John and they have it all under control and we won't be getting any other changes now that they have made their decision on how the forum should be laid out.

wonderful
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Ovens/furnaces for drying electrodes