Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / d1.1 exam questions
- - By willbergj (**) Date 09-17-2008 12:56
i am retaking the d1.1 exam in a few weeks, anyone have any sample exam questions that i can use to practice?

thanks
jason
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 09-17-2008 13:20
The certification manual for welding inspectors is available on the aws website.
Parent - - By willbergj (**) Date 09-17-2008 15:25
i have it but need sample questions on the d1.1 code exam i cant seem to navigate the d1.1 quick enough.

thanks
Parent - - By flamin (**) Date 09-17-2008 15:46
willbergj-

AWS sells a book (CCRM:2006) titled Code Clinic, it's a study guide specifically for D1.1 2006. It has sample questions for each of the relavent sections of the code book. I wish I had this prior to attending the seminar, because it would have given me a better understanding of what the test questions were like.

Jason
Parent - By willbergj (**) Date 09-17-2008 17:01
yes i have the code clinic manual.  i am just not real confident.  i quess read read read  the d1.1 is the key
thanks
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 09-17-2008 15:58
I use the index for navigation. It sound like you need more time to get familiar with the layout of the code. I don't think anyone will give you test questions, sample or otherwise. Try the search function in this forum, this topic has been gone over many times in the past.
Parent - - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 09-18-2008 13:55
MAKE YOUR OWN QUESTIONS, BE SURE TO MAKE UP AN ANSWER KEY, MAKE LOTS OF THEM SO YOU CANT POSSIBLY MEMORIZE THEM ALL, HAVE THE WIFE OR SOMEONE OPEN THE BOOK READ A LITTLE BIT AND FOMULATE A QUESTION FOR YOU.
Parent - - By emljr (*) Date 09-22-2008 20:27
here's a D1.1 question:  Is a  AWS CWI required for visual inspection of weld metal and workmanship issues when work is condcuted under D1.1 code?

State either 'yes' or 'no' and show paragraphs to support answers.
Parent - - By emljr (*) Date 09-22-2008 20:43
Here's another D1.1 question:  FCAW Process using Prequal joint detail BTC-P10-GF.  Q.: Inspector is called out to look at this joint prior to welding.  The inspector measures the root opening and finds the opening is 3/16".  Is this an acceptable root opening for the  joint per D1.1.

State either 'yes' or 'no' and show paragraphs to support answers.
Parent - - By dmilesdot (**) Date 09-23-2008 15:09
I would agree with Hogan, use the index for easy navigation.  Read the question, determine a key word and look it up in the index.  That is what I did on my first exam, then after many years of using D1.5 I learned which chapters had the information that I was looking for.
Dave
Parent - - By michael kniolek (***) Date 09-23-2008 19:46
this could be fun we all should make up questions find the answers and see how we all interprit code.(like a stump game)
MDK
Parent - By willbergj (**) Date 09-25-2008 17:21
thanks for the help
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 09-25-2008 18:04
I agree. This could be a very good idea. It would definetly sharpen the skills of those who visit this site as a minimum. Though I believe it should not be limited to D1.1. I would also say, it's very likely to help answer questions from those who visit.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-07-2008 02:23
Gerald can a CWI give the test to a person and certify the mif they pass or is going to the desiganted facility the only way?
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 10-12-2008 02:22
To be a CWI you have to take it through AWS. The other option is to get a VT cert through ASNT.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 09-25-2008 18:24
Here is one that I made long ago. It may even have some "bad questions" in it.  I am open to correction !

http://weldingdata.com/QuizRev1.htm
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 09-25-2008 18:22
D1.1 Specific- Not actual test questions but may get you looking in the right place. I may not even be sure of some of the answers !

1) Can E6010 Downhill be used for fabrication in accordance with AWS D1.1 for structural steel?

2) Can a Prequalified WPS be prepared for welding CJP grooves from one side without backing for T, Y, K connections?

3) What is the maximum weave width allowed for SMAW for a vertical weld?

4) Is voltage a required variable for SMAW welding?

5) When welding fillet welds in two opposing planes, should the weld be wrapped around the corners?

6) If a welder qualifies with GMAW-S is he qualified to weld with FCAW-S.

7) Can a welder who qualifed on a CJP groove weld in accordance with AWS D1.1 weld on a fillet weld attached to a 2" diameter pipe in the same position?

8) True or false. 1G, 2G, 3G, 4G are designations of positions to be welded in production.

9) What chapter in the code addresses prequalified WPS,

10) What chapter in the code addresses qualification of welders and procedures by testing.

11) What chapter addresses production welding requirements.

12) Does AWS D1.1 prohibit a CWI from inspecting and accepting welds.

General Welding

1) Name 5 types of weld joints

2) Which process uses a consumable electrode and guide tube.  SAW, FCAW, ESW.

3) What process has greater sensitivity to detect rounded discontinuities open to the surface in carbon steel? MT, PT, RT, UT

4) Slag trapped in a weld will show up on a radiograph because - 1) Metal is missing where the slag is located 2) The slag casts a "shadow" on the film. 3) Slag absorbs radiation and causes darker areas on the film.

5) What inspection method would be most likely to detect laminations in plate ?  UT-Straight Beam, UT Angle Beam, MT, PT, none of the above.

6) What process cannot be used for overhead groove welds. GMAW, FCAW, SMAW, SAW.

And I am sure there are others. Remember that you will never get actual code questions online anywhere. But any welding related questions may help you learn whare to find the answers. And if nothing else, make you know more.

Gerald
Parent - - By willbergj (**) Date 09-25-2008 19:01
i sure appreciate this guys

thanks
Parent - By swsweld (****) Date 09-26-2008 02:34
willbergj, ask and ye shall receive.

After Geralds post I am almost embarrassed to add a ?

I'm tired so only two from me.
1.A welder is qualified on an overhead plate, full penetration groove test. Can he weld a 2F pipe joint?

2. What is the surface roughness acceptability for a cut edge on 5" thick material?
Parent - - By mountainman (***) Date 09-25-2008 19:25
when are you gonna post the answers? i can't wait to see how i did ! just kidding, those are some great sample questions. thanks for taking the time.

JJ
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-25-2008 23:59
Don't know if it is still there or not, but Gerald used to have a sample welding quiz on his site.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 09-25-2008 20:08
Nice job Gerald. :-)

jrw159
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 09-26-2008 02:37
Don't know if these guys are getting soft or what, a year ago when I asked about sample questions I was told to quit trying to cheat or something along them lines! :)
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / d1.1 exam questions