Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Liability insurance
- - By Jim12 (**) Date 09-17-2008 23:47
I want to start my own inspection business in Nevada and have gone to several local insurance companies, as of yet none of the companies have insurance for inspection. So I'm looking someone who is familiar with this issue to please send info such as required coverage for visual inspection as well as performing welder qualification test for certification purposes as most of the insurance companies don't quite understand the type of work and keep asking if this is for training and its not. I'm thinking it may end up just being general policy with a maximum coverage of 3 million. Thanks in advance Jim
Parent - By jeffww88 (*) Date 09-21-2008 05:34
Jim,

My advice would be to obtain a minimum of a 2 million dollar general liability and 1 million professional liability insurance (basically like errors and omissions insurance for engineers).  Your agent should be able to set you up with those.

Jeff
Parent - - By thirdeye (***) Date 09-24-2008 01:58
Jim,

This is a tough one because the market that inspectors fall into a "specialty market", and there may not be a standard class code for the underwriter to place you in.  I've found the best approach is to make sure the agent is familiar with my business and then offer to visit directly with the underwriter as most underwriters spend a limited amount of time researching smaller clients. (especially ones that do not have an obvious class code, verses something like a painting or plumbing contractor for example)  When requesting quotes, I provide them with copies of certifications,  inspection procedures, reports etc.  When my business was primarily involved in the oil and gas industry, I was classified for several years in "Well Testing Services" because the underwriter claimed this was the only slot available.  In this class were companies like Halliburton that were working on live wellheads, when I may be in a shop inspecting a pressure vessel.  The next carrier put me into a classification with the description "pipeline inspection/anything that has a weld", because I worked on pipe. Now I am in a "professional services - other" class. 

The other kickers are that most insurance companies consider the length of time in business when they assess your risk
and some insurance companies have a minimum charge.  I have seen these minimums anywhere from 1,000 to 15,000. 

~thirdeye~
Parent - By Jim12 (**) Date 09-25-2008 18:54
Thanks for your answers this will help alot. Jim
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Liability insurance