Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Is it safe to weld galvinised steel?
- - By bullockwill Date 10-10-2001 04:00
I need to weld galvinised steel and when I do heaps of white colored fumes come off the steel

Is this poisnous? what precautions should i take?

by the way i use an arc welder with normal steel electrodes

any comments will be greatly apreacated

thanks

and also will the weld be as strong as a normal weld? , if its not what should i do?
Parent - - By Dutch Date 10-10-2001 10:35
Welding galvanized steels is extremely health hazardous because of the Zinc-Oxide fumes which generally appear pure white as you described in your post. These fumes will stay in your system until the day you pass on so my personal counsel is to avoid doing it! Would it be possible to galvanize your part after welding? Another option is to use spray cans of "cold-galv." which I started using for the afore mentioned reasons.
If you absolutly must weld on galvanized steels, do so out-doors, if possible and wear a respirator. If you start to feel nauxious, stop immediatley and consult a physician! OSHA may also have more information on this if you contact your nearest office.

Hope this helps.
Dutch
Parent - By bullockwill Date 10-10-2001 10:52
Thanks for your reply i apreciated it

yeh i have got a thing like a resoprator but it dosent have a filter they are just made out of a fiberus material and i will use a fan blowing directly on the job

i only have to make about 7 welds so i should be right

will this be enough?

thanks
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-10-2001 14:15
Check this out

http://www.welding.org/newsletters/winter97/cary.html
Parent - By Scooter Tramp Date 10-22-2001 23:14
When ya gotta do it, I recomend using a fan to blow the fumes away from you, breathing the fumes should be avoided if you value your health. Another thing they thought us in the air force in the '70's drink milk to keep you from getting noshious (spelling?). Proper ventallation!
Parent - By Nate Date 10-26-2001 18:04
We used to weld galvanized grating and structure. 6010 electrodes performed better for me. Some liked 7018. If you can grind the coating away where the weld will be, it'll help. Burn it hotter than normal. And like the others have said, avoid as much fumes as possible. It never bother me much(maybe long term it will), but some would miss the next day, complaining of flu like symptoms. They say milk helps.
Parent - - By burikg (*) Date 11-14-2001 10:48
Stop this kind of welding!!! You are in danger. Visit your medic ASAP!!!

This kind of welding is extremly hazardous. The coated plate surface contains Zn and Pb. The ZnO
vapors can damage your lung very easily.

You must use welding helmet with active coal respirator. It could be usefull if
you use some torch with respirator system.

regards Geza Burik, EWE, Hungary
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 11-14-2001 12:58
Geza,
Do you mean active charco filter? But if he is working out side, its done all the time.
Parent - By burikg (*) Date 11-15-2001 14:59
Some suppliers - ESAB, etc ... - can deliver special welding helmets where
the filter unit is on the back of the welder, and by using of flexible tube is connected
with the helmet. It has a small fan which delivers the cleaned air to welder inside the
helmet. I have experience about this from Hungary, Europe where the Siemens
welded hot dipped plates together for transformator tanks.

Check out www.esab.com for more info.

Regards Geza
Parent - By blulight58 Date 01-05-2002 14:21
I may be wrong but, I've welded enough galvanized with no ill effects. It's good to give wanings but you shouldn't try to panic people
Parent - By Michael Sherman (***) Date 01-06-2002 13:40
There is alot to be said about welding galvanized steel. Most has already been listed in previous posts, but not everything. I own a welding business and this reply comes from experience, education and consultation with my welding engineer. First, remove as much of the coating as possible before welding. 2) Use a 6010 or 6011 electrode with a whipping motion. This will help to volatilize the remaining zinc in front of the weld. This is important to reduce the porosity and potential cracking. 3) Zinc fumes are toxic. Period. Use proper ventilation and if necessary a respirator or SCBA. It is believed that drinking milk prior to welding galvanized steel will coat the stomach and allow the zinc to pass through your system. Apparently it is more swallowed than inhaled. This however is out of area of experience and is best answered by someone else.

Respectfully,
Mike Sherman
Sherman Welding
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Is it safe to weld galvinised steel?