Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Is it safe to weld galvinised steel?
- - By bullockwill Date 10-10-2001 04:23
I need to weld galvinised steel and when I do heaps of white colored fumes come off the steel

Is this poisnous? what precautions should i take?

by the way i use an arc welder with normal steel electrodes

any comments will be greatly apreacated

thanks

and also will the weld be as strong as a normal weld? , if its not what should i do?

Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 10-11-2001 13:59
You should avoid breathing the fumes from welding on galvanized coatings. Each situation is different so no one can give the best advice without seeing what you are doing. Good ventilation should be provided to blow away the fumes as a minimum. You may even need to wear a respirator with cartridges suitable for use with metal fumes. Also keep in mind that other people in the area may be exposed to the fumes so you'll need to think of them.

Zinc fumes can make you feel sick with a range of symptoms from nausea to fatigue, it feels like you have the flu. The sickness is often called "fume fever". It is temporary, you will get better and shouldn't have any lasting affects but no one is sure what long term exposure will do to you so it's best to avoid it.

Some may tell you to drink lots of milk before welding to avoid getting sick. I guess it does work but our company doctor says it's only masking the symptoms. Zinc is still getting inside you. He said drinking the milk is like taking a bottle of aspirin before you get the hangover. The conditions causing the problems are still there only you don't feel it.

Also, in case you aren't aware of it. There are all kinds of respirators available and not all are what you need. So make sure you read the instructions and recommended usage info.

Hope this helps
CHGuilford
Parent - - By Ashley0535 Date 05-02-2008 06:57
My boyfriend is a welder, he has been very ill lately. we are thinking it was a case of metal fume fever! His employer does not supply the respirators which I find completly unethical! Now today after work a double yesterday and today he came home with extreme flash burns! I took him to the ER that I work at as soon as we noticed how bad his eyes were. They gave him antiobiotics for his eyes and told him to patch them!
He wants to go back to work right away! He is so stubborn and thick headed! I told him these are the only eyes he will ever have and that he needs to take care of them! How long would you say till his eyes recover fully from these burns?

Another thing, I know there are OSHA standards to which these welding places must run by. His place of employment does not seem to have these. Do you think I should call OSHA and find out what I should do or tell them that his work does not provide them with the necessary things to maintain proper safety while at work? I just hate to see him so sick all the time and now with his eyes i mean its getting to be a bit much and he is missing a lot of work which he doesnt like to do either!

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated
Thanks
A concerned girlfriend
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 05-02-2008 11:13
http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?tid=15870

this is a well covered topic if you type "galvanized" in the search feature

Best regards
Tommy
Parent - By Bob Garner (***) Date 05-02-2008 20:56
Concerned girl friend,

Get your boyfriend out of there and into a safe job, somehow, anyhow.  I know about guys being stubborn but for his safety and your well-being, you somehow have to get him to safety.  Threaten to leave him, hide his car keys, whatever; this is like letting an intoxicated person drive.

Bob Garner
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 05-03-2008 19:22
I don't know the situation but 2 things come to mind.
Either the employer is not providing protection or your boyfriend is not using what is provided.  I don't meant that in a cold hearted way - it just that some folks don't use, or don't know to use safety equipment that is available.

I think we all can understand wanting to stick it out at work and not making any waves with the boss.  However if the company is not providing for ventilation, or providing Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), they are in vioation of OSHA requirements.  Even failing to enforce that employees must use their PPE is a violation.  Maybe they don't know of the requirements (hard to believe but it can happen).

Now as for your boyfriend - he needs to look out for himself. He could think of it this way - if the boss wants him to go down to the bottom of the cliff, is he going to jump, or will he drive down the access road?  Yes the employer has responsibilities but so does he.  There are many things he can do to protect himself.  If he is gettting flashed in the eyes, either he is in the wrong place at the wrong time, or he might be a bit overeager to get the arc started.  He should stay out of places were he will get flashed by others or make sure the safety glasses are being worn - tinted, if allowed, will help.  If it is his own flashes, he needs to be more careful.  If he has a self darkening hood, is he inadvertently covering the sensor so it doesn't darken when it should?
Did he report the flashes to his employer? - that is supposed to happen too.

Is your boyfriend welding with his head in the smoke plume?  He might not know if he is or not, but he should take steps to avoid that.  Respirators are uncomfortable but lung disease is too and lasts longer.  The employer should provide respirators but I'd get my own if my employer wouldn't and I wanted to still work there.  Even setting up a fan to help move the smoke away will help.

But lastly, as was already stated, your boyfriend might want to consider a job elsewhere if the employer truly is not concerned with his safety. 
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 05-03-2008 22:26
Very  well said, Chet.

John
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Is it safe to weld galvinised steel?