Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / We had a little explosion on Sun 9/14/08......
- - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-19-2008 21:00
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v345/jwright650/9%2014%2008%20Pipeline%20Explosion/

Pipeline apparently sprung a leak...a huge leak, that sounded like a fighter plane going by....then within a minute or so a huge fireball rolled up into the sky. Luckily no one was killed, but 5 people were injured(burns) from the two houses that caught fire.....guys that work with me live a few hundred yards down the road from this and heard the leak which they described as a fire plane screaming overhead and then saw the huge fireball roll up into the sky and they immediately though a plane went down. This area is frequently flown over in training runs up into the mountains from the Naval bases at the coast, so I can see why they thought what they did at the time.

The theory is that the pressure leaking from the pipe was shaking the powerlines and then they set the mixture off by possible arcing together on the poles that were close by.
I heard some say that the working pressure in these three lines is somewhere around 800psi and that only one of them ruptured and then exploded. it left dirt scattered for a good ways in both directions on Rt26 which you can see in the pictures.

I will try to find what the newspaper had to say about this....and post a link
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-19-2008 21:04
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 09-20-2008 00:57
Wow.  Do a failure mode analysis on that puppy, huh? 

Can I use a couple of those photos elsewhere?
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-22-2008 10:54
If it can help repeating such a disaster...LOL
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / We had a little explosion on Sun 9/14/08......