Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / titanium/flexon
- - By and4rik (**) Date 09-20-2008 03:07
hi, I have a friend that broke his expensive nike flexon glasses.  The metal is really interesting as it can be bent and will return to its normal shape.  Well he asked if I could repair them for him, I'm thinking a fusion weld would work.  I don't reallywant to go looking for jewelry grade filler set up.  The break is at the hinge in three pieces so the lens has fallen out.  Any thoughts would be great. 
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 09-20-2008 03:23
Hello and4rik, a couple of things come to mind here. First and foremost, you need to have a thorough understanding with your friend that you will "attempt" to repair these for him/her. Has this individual inquired with the optometrist whether they could repair these? It sounds as though this repair could be somewhat tedious and nerve wracking. That out of the way, I would probably try to be sure that you can fixture the pieces in a very rigid fixture of some sort, try to incorporate a heat sink into this and verify alignment before doing any welding. I would definitely opt for the GTAW process to attempt this repair and as you mentioned, unless I knew the exact base metal make-up I would probably try a fusion type weld first. There could be the possibility that these frames have been subjected to some sort of heat treatment and stress-relieving process so you could be taking a shot in the dark with this attempt. You will probably also want to use the smallest tungsten that you have available to insure the most stable arc at the low amp range that the welding on this will require. DON'T rush into this repair, hopefully others who have some direct knowledge of these and their materials, conditions, and limitations will chime in here and give you more accurate and tried suggestions and instructions. A bit to consider. Best regards, aevald
Parent - - By rlitman (***) Date 09-20-2008 18:30
AFAIK, Flexon is not just titanium.  It is instead, something akin to NiTinAl shape-memory alloy.
Have a looksie at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shape_memory_alloy
especially, the section on pseudo-elasticity.  Neat stuff.
I've been wearing flexon glasses since before the trade name flexon existed, and was originally told about a proprietary heat and mechanical process for creating that special alloy.  I suspect that GTAW might be able to fuse the frames, and that NiTinAl might even be a suitable filler, BUT that the localized heat would leave a large section in an unsuitable metallurgical state.

Many glasses are made of titanium, and would probably weld better with CP titanium filler.

In any case, every pair of metal frames I've seen, are completely covered in a lacquer of sorts, and usually is plated first.  EVEN if the end finish appears to be shiny metal.
The plating probably makes polishing and finishing easier, and the lacquer is important for corrosion protection.  Even the titanium frames I'm wearing right now, which have a "titanium" finish, have a clear coating.
I've got a pair of flexon frames (which were bright silver), where on the inside, you can see layers, where the clear finish wore through, and then, where what appears to be bright nickel plating wore through to expose another duller alloy underneath.

I'm sure that any finish would be completely ruined by GTAW, and would make the glasses seriously ugly, and that AND any plating should prevent any fusion welding.

On another note:
I've been wearing this type of frame for a LONG time, and have broken MANY of them.  Yeah, its more durable than nickel-silver, and even stainless frames, but nothing lasts forever.  The best advice I can give, is to foster a good relationship with your optician.  No matter how elastic an alloy you use for glasses, they eventually work harden, and snap, and its nice to get replacement parts, at, or near, cost.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 09-20-2008 20:47
Hello rlitman, as I included in my reply, he should probably wait for those with more knowledge of these to respond as well. Obviously, you (one with far more knowledge and familiarity) have responded. Thanks for that very informative reply. Best regards, Allan
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / titanium/flexon