Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / About WPS according to ASME IX -2006
- - By viettq (*) Date 09-21-2008 10:11
I am writing a WPS according to ASME IX with below welding variables:
- Welding process: FCAW
- Position of Groove in PQR: 2G
- Tests for PQR: Tension Test, Guided bend Test, NOTCH TOUGHNESS TEST, Macro Examination.
=> in WPS: Position Qualified: Groove: 1G, 2G, 4G; Fillet: 1F, 2F, 4F.
Am I right?
Please advise me if something's wrong.
In addition to a question about Base Metal: Are ABS DH 36 and SA-516 Grade 70(page 97, ASME IX 2006) equivalent? Because our Certifying Authority said that they are same, but I can not see any Code, Standard or Specification have mentioned about it.

Thanks & best regards.
viet.tq
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-21-2008 17:50
You would be prudent to select a base metal that has an assigned P number. That will allow you  to weld base metals listed as a P number or S number. If you qualify something that isn't assigned a P number (or S number) you will only be qualified for the material you tested.

If you are going to weld in all positions in production, you will want to weld in the vertical position so that the maximum heat input will be used if you are qualifying he procedure to meet toughness requirements.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 09-22-2008 17:33
It also appears as though your frame of reference is D1.1. A thorough review of Section IX would help. Position, except as Al rightly pointed out, is not the issue in Section IX that it is in D1.1. Also, macro etch is not a requirement.
Parent - - By Fahmee Date 10-19-2008 03:33
ASME IX state position is supplimentary essential for FCAW process ( refer table QW255 ), when you weld 2G, code allowed you to weld all position.

AWS D1.1 stated position is essential variable. if you weld in vertical position (3G) this means you WPS only cover 3G position. if you going to weld all position, you PQR have to qualify using pipe in 6G position. if your test cuopon are plate, you need to have 3 PQR with different position (2G, 3G, 4G).

these are different on AWS & ASME codes (essential variable).

SA516 Gr70 & ABS DH36 are group II material (AWS D1.1). you can find this in AWS B2.1 for full list of material grouping.
Parent - By MBSims (****) Date 10-19-2008 13:54
"ASME IX state position is supplimentary essential for FCAW process ( refer table QW255 ), when you weld 2G, code allowed you to weld all position."

This is not correct when notch toughness requirements apply, which I assume is the case since he did notch toughness testing on the PQR.  To qualify for "all" positions, the PQR would need to be welded with the vertical uphill progression (e.g., in 3G, 5G, or 6G position) as stated in QW-405.2.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / About WPS according to ASME IX -2006