Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Metallurgy / TITANIUM PIPING ON US NAVY SHIPS
- - By DKUMPUNEN (*) Date 09-23-2008 02:27
  Anyone out there had experience with titanium piping on US NAVY ships?They are installing it here in
Pascagoula on LPDs amphibious assault ships.As touted its suppossed to last for the life of the ship
[40 years].
   How difficult is it to weld titanium piping?I know we have one person from PUGET SOUND NAVY YARD.

DONK
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 09-23-2008 04:44
Hello DKUMPUNEN, I believe most will tell that it isn't necessarily that difficult to weld. The difficult part enters into it when you make the set-up, do the cleaning that is necessary, utilize the proper purging methods, and follow the parameters to ensure that you don't overheat it or expose any of it to the atmosphere while it is above a reactive temperature. Cleanliness is next to godliness where titanium is concerned. Proper base/filler metal match can also be a very important part of the success as well. I believe Henry, Lawrence, Tommyjoking, and likely a few others can provide you with the more specific details involved. If you have followed any of the past threads concerning this you will likely also be aware of trailing shields, the use of gas-lenses, and a few other specifics that will yield successful results for you. Courtesy of Henry, TIMET is a good resource for the welding of titanium, and I believe if you pay a visit to the site by ATI WAH-CHANG you will also find a lot of good information. If you are looking for the more technical aspects you may need to include a bit more information and specifics. I realize some of this may be proprietary so that may not be possible, if that's the case possibly some general type descriptions may result in the information you are seeking. Keep us posted, and best regards, Allan
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 09-23-2008 19:17
Get in touch with the kings of titanium: Titanium Metals Corporation (www.timet.com). They're very kind people, willing to help whoever needs information on titanium and its applications.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - By PhilThomas (**) Date 09-24-2008 19:11
The actual "welding" (e.g. arc and filler addition) isn't difficult.....its keeping the shielding on the puddle for a MUCH longer time than you are used to with SS or nickel piping.  You will have to either use a glove box, or a rather bulky trailing shield.  As the other said, check out TIMET.
Parent - By vittorio (*) Date 09-26-2008 08:58
this is a good source of informations on welding titanium:

Titanium and titanium alloys
http://www.twi.co.uk/content/jk24.html

V
Up Topic Welding Industry / Metallurgy / TITANIUM PIPING ON US NAVY SHIPS