Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Beginner
- - By rlund Date 10-11-2001 23:38
I know I have a long row to hoe, but I bought a Miller Syncrowave 180 SD as my first welding machine. I chose it because I need to weld .080 aluminum sheet together. I have very little welding experience, but I'm not afraid to try anything.

Do any of the members here have any general advice that might help?

Thanks,
Ron
Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 10-12-2001 01:10
SCHOOL.
STUDY MATERIAL.
PRACTICE.
Parent - By airweld (**) Date 10-12-2001 16:48
It's a very steep learning curve in the beginning, so my advice is to take advantage of someone else's experience either in a school setting or maybe someone you know will give you some private tutoring. It'll cut way back on the frustration factor and you won't develop bad habits you will have trouble breaking later on. Good Luck, Scott.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-12-2001 19:34
Ron,

If you bought the Miller new your in luck, Miller electric actually provides excellent training media and literature related to GTA welding of aluminum. They have a Beginners CD which is kinda cool and a textbook covering GTA welding that is about 100 pages and costs very little.. I would think such things would be included in your purchase, if not let this be a lesson to others to drive a hard bargan and get every bit of factory support your purchase can leverage.

PS. Welding soda cans together is excellent and affordable practice exercise and also will impress prospective jobshop employers if you (tune up) a welding machine by doing this before a test :)

PSS. Clean your Tungsten Electrodes with a beltsander and NOT with a grinding wheel!

"Modern Welding Technology" By Howard B Cary is the top Hardcover Text (at least in my view)
Parent - - By airweld (**) Date 10-12-2001 21:05
Lawrence,
I, for one, would like to hear your recommendations for grinding tungstens. Why not grinding wheels? Even if used exclusively for tungsten? What type of belts and grit size? What about diamond wheels? My reference material is vague on the subject so I would appreciate the benefit of your experience. Scott.
PS I just noticed that you said "clean" your electrodes. Perhaps I misunderstood. I thought you meant grind the tip to shape. Either way, I am still interested in your experience with tungsten grinding.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-16-2001 19:41
The advice for tungsten cleaning with a belt sander is given with a new aluminum welder in mind. Aluminum will load up in a grinding wheel and become an extreem danger in a very short time. This is the same general rule which prohibits grinding of any Non-ferrous material on any grinding wheel. Beginners get alot of messy electrodes its just part of the job. A beltsander with 80 grit is excellent, some folks have those round 12" sanding disk thingies that are ok too.
Parent - - By rlund Date 10-13-2001 16:44
Thanks everyone.

I did go buy Welding Principles and Applications and Welding Technology Fundamentals at the local junior college bookstore. I figured that would be a good place to start. I plan to get more books too.

I ground my electrodes on a brand new wheel last night before I read this. I chucked them up in a drill and turned them while grinding. That worked great. I wasn't clear as to whether to leave a small flat on the end or grind them all the way to a point, so I did half and half.

I have some scrap .080 aluminum and plan to do some practicing today, but I have plenty soda cans too :-) We just got the wiring done last night so today's my first opportunity to strike an arc. I've talked to a couple experienced welders and they just said "practice, practice,practice" , which sounds like really good advice to me.

I would guess I'll be a lot clearer on some things later this afternoon. More than likely, I'll be asking more questions tonight.

Thanks again,
Ron
Parent - - By guy (*) Date 11-02-2001 01:43
[deleted]
Parent - - By dasimonds (**) Date 11-02-2001 11:16
Guy,
You've apparently missed Lawrence's excellent point about Aluminum and grinding wheels and exploding and high-velocity flying debris. Perhaps Lawrence can give some more insight into what's happening with the grinding wheels. If I had to guess, and this is only a guess, I'd say the Aluminum, being soft, fills the spaces in the wheel as you grind. Then, also being an excellent conductor of heat, transmits enough energy(heat) into the wheel to weaken or break the chemical bonds of the material used to hold the wheel together, and combined with centrifugation(defined as "being subjected to centrifugal action" which surely applies to a spinning grinding wheel), the wheel disintegrates.

I've had the misfortune of working around people grinding Aluminum. While the wheel didn't explode, I was pelted with liquified Aluminum, which acts much the same way as liquid solder does when it hits the floor. Cool effect on concrete. But it rapidly leads to a bad day when you have to peel it from your neck!

Also, I don't see a problem with using a drill, as long as the Tungsten is ground from the point back. What's the difference? The resultant striations(grooves) are still longitudinally orientated, perfect for GTAW, and the smooth flow of electrons. The belt sander will also give a smoother finish, as it is of a finer grit, more like a diamond wheel will produce.

I might also add that I find it acceptable to do a "rough" finish by grinding the point sideways(90 degrees to the length of the Tungsten) to establish the basic point geometry, but should always be given the final finish longitudinally, again, to correctly orientate the striations.

Dale Simonds
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-02-2001 16:17
Dale,

Thank you for more fully explaining the technical aspects of my advice about *cleaning* tungsten electrodes. I know myself to be longwinded in my responses at times, but when a topic is not fully detailed we get criticism in the form of posts such as the one above. Generally I ignore critics but this is a safety Issue, your swift and accurate words are a benefit to everybody who reads them.

The quality point that Guy did manage to make is this. One really ought to check out advice and be sure that the topical authority applies to the job at hand.

Now in giving this particular advice I used data gathered from first hand training and experience in the aerospace industry. Beltsanders are employed for cleaning aluminum deposits from tungsten electrodes all through the trades. Boeing, Lockheed, The United States Navy and Airforce all supply belt sanders to craftsmen in order to clean aluminum from tungsten electrodes. This is a black and white Issue and not up for debate. Putting aluminum onto a rotating grinding wheel is wrong and an unsafe practice. If you have been doing so please ask your shop supervisor redress the wheel or replace it.

Two nice links to grinder safety online for those who appreciate sourced material

http://www.tarleton.edu/~policy/safe0401.htm
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nenam/grinding.htm

As for diamond wheels, the aluminum will just clog them up and quickly render them useless. Your boss will not be happy to pay for ruined diamond wheels at $100 bucks a pop. I have written several posts on the blessing a diamond wheel can be, but aluminum-welding operations are not top of the list for this type of equipment.

Furthermore, Tapping a pointed tungsten electrode on a steel surface will only fracture the point and make more likely the possibility for tungsten inclusion/contamination of the work at arc initiation. Tungsten is harder than steel-(any steel) and will be splintered and chipped rather than blunted by the tapping, the resultant fractured pieces, not being cleanly removed, are then ready to fall off into the weld puddle. Just try it once and look at the thing under magnification.... When an Electrode is cleaned and prepped with the desired angle, If you wish, you may remove the sharp point on the wheel or belt in order to achieve the desired tip geometry. Lanthanum electrodes are particularly susceptible to fractures so if you're using them this advice is extra important.

Lawrence Bower
Welding Instructor
United Airlines
Parent - - By don (**) Date 10-17-2001 02:36
Miller has an excellent site which has a posting specifically referring to welding thin aluminums. Has several "tips' which are very helpful, especially on grinding tips and preparation. Preparation is "everything" in this discipline.

check it out, its awesome!!!

http://www.millerwelds.com/pdf/techart/Aluminations_Ad_Package.pdf
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-02-2001 16:53
Don,

Thanks and please keep sharing that Aluminations link whenever possible.

The author of that piece, Mike Sammons (Miller Electric) is a great guy and has been responsive and accurate in his advice to me over the years. We Bought Aerowaves about 6 years ago and his inputs made our learning curve a short one. As a matter of fact I have a copy of "Aluminations" laminated and prominently posted in our process training facility.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Beginner