Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / WPS Certification
- - By shipfitter88 (*) Date 09-24-2008 22:58
Can someone tell me where I can go in Southern California to test a WPS I have written for my company. We are just starting up the weld program portion of our operations and do not have the equipment yet to perform the welding and testing, so I would have to go to a facility conduct the welding and then have it tested.
Parent - By motgar (**) Date 09-25-2008 13:30
Here is a link to the Accredited Testing Facilities (ATFs), in the USA: http://files.aws.org/certification/docs/auto/atf_listing.pdf
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 09-25-2008 13:40
Any Mechanical testing Lab can perform the tests.

Depending on the code and WPS requirements you can probably have all needed tests done at one location.

There is no need for the lab to be involved in the documentation other than providing you with test reports that you can use to verify the tensile tests and impacts(if required) are acceptable.

The guided bend tests can be bent by anyone and you can inspect them in accordance with the code you are working too. You can also bend them yourself as dimensions are in both ASME Sec IX and AWS D1.1.

I normally cut the strips out for the bends and tensiles, get the tensiles machined in house (any milling machine can handle it), send the tensiles to the lab with refernce to my PQR number and request yield and ultimate tensile strength and sometimes elongation/reduction of area.

There is no need for the test lab to sign any PQR or related document. You review the results and are responsible for them.

I have seen test labs charge $300-400 for a PQR and all they did was the mechanicals and fill out the PQR and a WPS.

Accredited Test Facilities may or may not have the ability to perform mechanicals. It was my understanding that they are for performance qualification only but I may revisit that.

Have a good day

Gerald
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-25-2008 23:52
I think it is appropriate to ask if you need to test to a particular code. The question must be answered to determined if a third party can qualify the procedure for you. Codes such as ASME or a military welding standard requires you to have your welder, an employee, to actually do the welding. While the NDT, and destructive tests can be performed by a third party, the welding can't be delegated to a third party.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By shipfitter88 (*) Date 09-26-2008 15:31
I am testing to ASME IX and need to be certified to B31.3. I am going to do the actual welding but my company does not have the equipment yet, so I am looking for a weld testing facility where I could go and perform the welding and then either if that facility has the capability to do the testing or I could go to a third party lab and have them test the coupons. I will be welding 2" sch 40 304L pipe with open root using 316L filler using the GTAW process.

Thanks,
Chris
Parent - - By motgar (**) Date 09-26-2008 18:37
If you are welding 304L, why not use 308L for your filler wire?
Parent - - By shipfitter88 (*) Date 09-26-2008 22:25
I was informed that 316L is better to use when welding 304L that is being used in cyrogenic service which the piping we will be welding for LNG is about -240 degf.
Parent - - By motgar (**) Date 09-30-2008 14:54
Since you are doing cryogenic work, you may want to consider doing Charpy Impact Testing of your procedure too.
Parent - By shipfitter88 (*) Date 09-30-2008 21:58
It will be required for me to have the impact testing completed. Thanks for the heads up.
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 09-26-2008 02:21

>I have seen test labs charge $300-400 for a PQR and all they did was the mechanicals and fill out the PQR and a WPS.

What lab are you using, ours is charging almost 1k for bends and tensiles and not including NDT.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 09-29-2008 18:53
Most recent quote I got was $80.00 per tensile. That x 2 = 160. I don't get bends done outside but I am pretty sure they are about 1/2 of tensiles. So there is another 160.

You can minimize the cost by getting the machining done in house (maybe) . Supply the straps ready to bend or bend them in house.

1k for a set of bends and tensiles seems awful steep.

I usually just get the tensiles pulled after I have machined the specimens. I have stack milled 3 or 4 at a time on a bridgeport. Some of the labs sub out the machining and thus have extra costs.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / WPS Certification