Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Borrowing Engineering.
- - By sbcmweb (****) Date 09-25-2008 21:12
Here, I have borrowed some of Miller's fine engineering to make some captive end rings for wire feeder spool hubs.

**AS LONG AS YOU DO NOT SELL PATENTED/PROTECTED PARTS FOR A PROFIT, YOU CAN REPRODUCE THEM ALL YOU WANT.**

If someone wants to challenge me on this, don't bother. I worked for the biggest reverse engineering experts/thieves in the world, Dart Container. I learned everything I know about "Borrowing Engineering" from them. They would buy & then disassemble multi million dollar machines for the thermoform industry & copy them to use in their own factories.

Nothing special, but at $20 a piece, the cost adds up when you got to buy 5 or 6 of them. Used feeders always seem to be missing them. I will paint these black to look somewhat like the originals. S.W.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 09-25-2008 21:23
Pretty slick. :-)

jrw159
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 09-25-2008 21:26 Edited 09-26-2008 12:00
Yep. Stole it fair & square. NOT. Just don't have the money for the part & these will do fine for what they're for.

They are not quite as good as Miller's but, I made 4 of them for $14.57. One part from Miller is $19.89

Man, having a lathe is sure handy!!

BTW: That chuck was rotating 1000 RPM (turning the PVC ring) when I took the pics. I was surprised they turned out as good as they did.

S.W.
Parent - - By Ringo (***) Date 09-26-2008 17:31
You're the man Steve.
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 09-26-2008 17:41
What's happening????

Hope everything's going good. S.W.
Parent - - By Ringo (***) Date 09-26-2008 19:31
Going good,just got done welding some wrought iron bars on this indian guy's store front.He's been broken into several times.Also,he was robbed twice in twenty minutes.
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 09-26-2008 19:35
I've been in places like that. :-)
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 09-25-2008 21:34
Hello Steve, nice job. I do plenty of "copying" to meet my "personal needs", mainly due to the $$$$. Somewhat like yourself, I have a lathe and a couple of different mills, can cover a lot of those little items that I would have to do without for a much longer period of time if I couldn't make them. Nice looking replica and attention to detail and function. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 09-25-2008 21:49
Thanks a lot Allan. As always, coming from you, I take it as a well appreciated compliment :-)

I want to make them a little better. This was using 2" PVC collars that I had to open up about .110" The fillister screws & flared nuts were a quick grab at ACE hardware. We have one here that's been around like 50+ years. One of those places that has everything you would ever need.

I'll try & improve the copy to make it a little more precise. The screws are a little sloppy, Miller uses a captive type pin with a head on it. I think these will fit the bill. I bought all the stuff to make four for $14.57. One Miller part is $19.89 a piece & a week's wait to get. I got three feeders that need these & that's $60.00 right there.

I'll paint them with Fusion paint & they'll look just fine. Thanks again!! S.W.
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 09-26-2008 01:39
The finished part after black satin Fusion paint.
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 09-26-2008 02:31
couldn't you get rid of the threads and add a spring, like the originals?

(I love being a critique of other peoples work, thats why I'm an inspector) :)

BTW good idea, I wished I had pics of alot of my "inventions" I've made through the years!
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 09-26-2008 02:38 Edited 09-26-2008 02:47
There are springs on them, they would not work without them. The pins need to be held back when you attach it to the spool hub. It has two holes & connecting slots on the hub for the heads of the pins inside the ring to lock into. It looks as though there are none though!

I simply used 1/4" 20 fillister screws & turned the heads down to fit the lug holes in the spool.

I used a flanged nut & red loctite to secure it after inserting the spring.

As far as doing away with the threads on the screws, I am thinking on that now. :-)

I'm thinking shoulder bolts may be a very good solution. I could make the collar ID a little thicker too, by using thicker material, I just lucked across these. Just faced one end, bored the ID out .110" larger & drilled two holes 180 degrees apart.

The miller parts are molded & there's a thick tab where the pin goes thru, providing more stability for it. The threaded screws tend to move around a bit, but by far, a quick & inexpensive solution to the problem :-) S.W.
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 09-26-2008 02:51
Sorry about that, It looked like a threaded bolt. (it still does,LOL)  :)
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 09-26-2008 03:12
Nope, I can totally see the idea. You were correct though. It is a threaded bolt underneath. :-) The first set of pics shows the spring a little better. I couldn't find anything that fine at the hardware. I had to get stronger springs with more coils, that was all they had.

You are right on the threads. They hang up in the hole & on the spring. I'm gonna check the shoulder bolt theory out, I just don't want to wrap a lot of steps up into it. I thought about a nylon bushing to add some beef to the place where the screw goes thru, still again, an OEM piece is $20. How much do I wanna sink into it????.......

I think this will suffice for now. I have three feeders to put together & spending $60+ out of pocket that's a non value added expense just makes me sick.

On the other hand, if these were really HIGH end, top dollar feeders, I would eat the $20 OEM part. At least until I can get some real refined ones made up!! Thanks! Steve.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-26-2008 06:55
I always thought those items were called "clippy things"
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 09-26-2008 11:30 Edited 09-26-2008 12:03
It's proper name is: Ring, Retaining...Per factory prints :-)

I have called them little "Clippy things" on many occasions myself. :-)
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 09-26-2008 13:14
They are "retainermabobs" or "thingamaholders" :-)

jrw159
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 09-26-2008 17:07
Doohickies? :)
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 09-26-2008 17:38
LOL That works. :-)

jrw159
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 09-26-2008 22:52
Only in Texas.... :-)

I LOVE Texas!
Parent - - By snuffman (***) Date 09-27-2008 00:58
Thingamabob, Thingamagig
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 09-27-2008 01:43
Yep. All acceptable descriptions. :-)
Parent - - By 522029 (***) Date 09-26-2008 14:10
At first look, I thought there were no springs.

Griff
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 09-26-2008 22:51
I got me some shoulder bolts today. They seem to work better than the 1/4" 20 screws. The springs hang up too much on them.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Borrowing Engineering.