Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / reasonable wage
- - By tbigtdav (*) Date 09-25-2008 23:50 Edited 09-26-2008 01:11
forgive me if i posted in the wrong section. i recently obtained cwi certification and am wondering what a fair wage is for somebody like myself. i graduated from a technical school in 2003 receiving an associates degree in welding technology. then after that ive worked in a fab shop for approx 5 yrs and when the company closed i got into inspection. i currently hold an mt,pt and cwi certs which i just received the cwi this month. i currently live in the northeast of the country(pa ohio area). if anyone can give insight as to what would be a reasonable wage to ask for would be appreciated. thank you in advance
Parent - By vagabond (***) Date 09-26-2008 05:05
I couldn't really say what to look for if your going to stay in town and work.  On the road even green CWI's (I got mine in April) are getting in the mid 30's an hour and that's with just a CWI no MT or PT.  I figure the going rate is 38-42 an hr. and 100-120 a day per diem.  Don't forget they are screaming for CWI's right now as well as everyone else.  Get some experience on your resume and you can demand more but I always ask a little high and so far it's been working out.  It's easier to get your money up front then try to get a raise later is my opinion.  As a welder more often than not to change my pay I had to change my employer and I'm trying to avoid that now that I'm an inspector.
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 10-01-2008 01:26
tbigtdav, I was hoping for more replies from the experienced CWIs as I can only tell you what I see on the job finding web sites.
I have seen adds for CWI as low as 20/hr and as high as 52/hr. But they are requiring lots of experience and other certs.

I like vagabonds pay rate info. I live in the SE and would not expect to be offered more that 25-30hr. Depending on how well you market yourself and the company you interview with you should easily get that.
Good luck and congratulations on the CWI
Parent - By vagabond (***) Date 10-01-2008 13:17
Another point FWIW if they are trying to see what I want to make I tell them somewhere around what they are paying their general foreman on the project.  I have just noticed that other companies seem to use this as a benchmark.  Personally I can make 33-35 an hr as a welder at a number of places,  so I have to get significantly above that to want to work as an inspector.  Because welding is a lot less headaches,  and my day actually goes quicker when I'm under the hood.  I guess it depends on the area but there seems to be quite a shortage.  I was just offered a job that is great pay and bennies and once my probationary period is done (90) days I will get another 2.00 per hour.  I just got my CWI in April.  But 20 yrs as a welder on the resume helps somewhat do I suppose. 
Parent - By basecamp2 (*) Date 10-01-2008 16:51
am currently working in Pa. the wadge is $45.00ph, $80.00 a day per diem. .585 cents per mile to & from apartment to site. home state is Arizona. have never worked there wadges are to low. first inspection jobe paid $25.90ph $110.00 per diem. per diem  depends on cost of liveing around the job site. ending my 4th year as an inspector. hopes this helps. all work has been east of the mississippi river.
basecamp2
Parent - - By johnnyh (***) Date 10-01-2008 18:02
When I recieved my CWI I was fortunate enough to already be in the inspections dept and I recieved 30 an hour. This was in Texas.  I think that I was fortunate because I was able to start getting documented experience right away and I thought the wage was very fair considereing that I was also getting perdiem although the job was 10 minutes from the house.

I believe that gaining certain experience is a key to future compensation.  Currently I am working in an office 40 hours a week for a salary that equates to just a little more than what I was making on that rookie CWI job.  I am taking a calculated risk that the experience that I am gaining working at this Engineering company will help me in the long run.  I understand that if i was in the field working mad overtime that I could easily double or maybe even triple what I am making now.  I have been here for over a year now and I think that I have made the right decision.  I have learned alot about Risk Based Inspection and fitness for service and I dont believe that I would be learning as much if I was out in the field.  It is nice to have paid vacation and not having to wear a hardhat every day.  My company foots the bill for tons of training and they want me to gain as many API certs as possible.  And I dont plan on leaving if a better offer comes up.  The money will come later with more experience. 

Sorry to ramble on but I just wanted to point out that you may want to take a more comfortable job that may not pay as well in order to gain the experience that will be invaluable in the future.  Just a thought.

I don't even own a pair of steel toes anymore. :)

John
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 10-01-2008 19:14
John, do you think the 510 test and work was harder than your CWI?

Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread. I was going to sign up for an API cert seminar as yesterday was the deadline but decided against it.
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 10-01-2008 19:36 Edited 10-01-2008 21:06
yes the 510 is harder
Parent - By johnnyh (***) Date 10-01-2008 19:44
Personally I think the 510 test was harder.  This was probably because I have a welding/fitting background that prepared me for the CWI.  I would not have passed the 510 without the seminar.  The seminar really helped me figure out how to tab the codes so I could navigate them during the open book portion.  The closed book portion was just a matter of studying the material months in advance.  The best advice that they gave during the seminar was to eliminate the wrong answers before choosing the correct one.

One thing that makes the CWI hard is having to pass 3 portions instead of 2.  It is harder to make up for a few missed questions when there are 3 sections instead of 2.
Parent - By soilschick (*) Date 10-05-2008 04:45
Each region varies by the amount and type of work I would imagine.  I have stayed in Chicago area because I have established myself here and like the varying weather, including snow.  I have been offered anywhere from $45 to 60/hour plus per diem to travel for contract work.  I had a call from Dallas once to work for $50/hour for a pipeline contractor.  But I would melt in the heat.  I make $32/hr plus union benefits in my current job.  My benefits plus use of a company truck and gas card make me stay here. 
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / reasonable wage