Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / School Info Update
- - By Jeremy Kidd (*) Date 09-26-2008 07:26
Well... The good news is I researched the ESAB website and found a training program and its no cost. I just registered. The bad news is its only a three day course and its not until April. :(

I will see what I can find in the meantime. Here is an overview of what to expect and everyone chime in with opinions please. It sounds good and I heard from others that took the course they really liked it. I'm just happy that it involves hands on. That's best for me. Hope its not too much for everyone to read....

Training - Product and Process  Course Overview
To understand equipment and filler metal performance, this training program incorporates classroom theory (equipment and filler metal characteristics, features and benefits) and practical hands-on use.

The classroom instruction includes a thorough examination of the theory relating to the arc welding processes. Additionally, the course includes an in-depth overview of both welding equipment, plasma arc cutting equipment, gas cutting apparatus as well as a lengthy evaluation of filler metals, solid wires, cored wires and covered electrodes for both ferrous and nonferrous alloys.

The hands-on portion of the program provides an opportunity to use the equipment and filler alloys. Both GMAW (MIG) equipment and GTAW (TIG) equipment is available for welding with a variety of filler materials. A wide range of plasma arc cutting equipment is also available to perform both cutting and gouging on various types and thicknesses of material. Gas apparatus is used to demonstrate equipment set up and safe working practices.

Who Should Attend
This program is designed to train Technical Sales Representatives, Welding Engineers, Welding Supervisors, Welding Instructors, Welding Inspectors and Welders. Anyone seeking to understand the performance characteristics associated with the quality and productivity of ESAB's wide range of welding and cutting equipment and filler materials will benefit from this course.

Program Topics

Basic Welding Metallurgy
What is Steel?
Alloying Elements
Mechanical Properties
Weld Cracking
Destructive Testing
Brittle Fracture
Fatigue Failure

GMAW (MIG) Welding Process
Process Advantages
Feedability
Shielding Gases
Metal Transfer Modes

GMAW (MIG) Welding Wires
AWS Classification System
Mild Steel
Low Alloy

GTAW (TIG)
Features and Benefits
Welding Equipment

Stainless Steel
Why is it Called Stainless?
How is it Different than Regular Steel?
Austenitic, Ferretic, Martensitic and Duplex Stainless Steels

Mild Steel and Low Alloy Covered Electrodes
The SMAW Process (Stick Electrode)
Electrode Coatings - Iron Powder, Cellulose, Rutile and Low Hydrogen

Plasma Equipment
Cutting Capabilities
Gouging Capabilities
Cutting Torch Characteristics and Components
Optional Accessories

The Flux Cored and Metal Cored Welding Process and Filler Metals
Process Advantages
Gas Shielded and Self Shielded Wires
Shielding Gases

Aluminum Welding and Filler Metals
Applications - The Aluminum Alloy System
Basic Aluminum Metallurgy
Heat Treatable and Non Heat Treatable Alloys
The Heat Affected Zone (HAZ)
Filler Metal Selection
Friction Stir Welding

Maintenance and Repair Products
What are Maintenance and Repair Alloys?
How to Use All-State Literature and Wall Charts
Manual M&R Stick Electrodes, Brazing Alloys and Soldering Products
Hard Surfacing, Cast Iron, Nickel, Copper and Metal Removal Electrodes

Submerged Arc Welding
Product Range
Overview of Process

Gas Apparatus
OXWELD, PUROX, and PREST-O-LITE
How to Select a Regulator
Regulator - Flowmeter Combinations
Regulator Safety
Cutting and Welding Torches
Steel Industry Products

Dont worry... I copy-n-pasted the above info. No way did I want to type all that... lol :)

Regards,
Jeremy
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 09-26-2008 11:41
Sounds good. If it's free, even better. I would do it. :-)
Parent - - By magodley (**) Date 09-26-2008 12:11
Did you also notice the online course titled welding technology?  Also free.
AG
Parent - By Jeremy Kidd (*) Date 09-26-2008 16:16
No I didn't and thank you very much for pointing that out.

Regards,
Jeremy
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 09-26-2008 12:51
If you have access to a welding engineer you might want to let him know your interest and see if he could help get you going.
Parent - By Jenn (***) Date 09-26-2008 13:08
Yeah, good idea!!
Parent - By Jeremy Kidd (*) Date 09-26-2008 16:17
Hogan,

That's a great idea!!! I didn't even think of that. Yes there are plenty engineers here at our R & D facility. I will give them a talkin too.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 09-26-2008 12:57
Jeremy,
  Get on that free education!!!

Soak up as much as you can. :-)

Good luck, and keep us posted on how it turns out.

jrw159
Parent - By Jeremy Kidd (*) Date 09-26-2008 16:15
Oh I plan to get on the free education!!!!! For some reason I really have an interest in underwater welding. But first I need to get my feet wet on the basics and then go from there. As for the welder divers I read up on that and know I need to take a commercial divers course too. But hey, go for the gusto right? I will keep everyone informed on how I make out and if I can find something before the April class. Look forward to talking to everyone soon again.

Regards,
Jeremy
Parent - By Jenn (***) Date 09-26-2008 13:07
DO IT. Free education can never hurt, if you learned one thing - you did not waste your time. You will learn much more than one thing from this.

I am sure that it is not a super hands on course, as three days will never satisfy what you want to learn in welding (as far as hands on wise) -if you catch the "bug" (trust me on this one). But it will most certainly teach you about all of the different common welding processes, general characteristics of the different metals, and you can get your hands on a few of them too - enough to give you an idea. You can get a way better understanding of it, and a feel for what you like, and wether or not you want to keep persuing it further - with NO cost to you. What's not to like about that?

I have a saying, and it's WAY true when it comes to school - "Free is for me!"  :)   I'm truly sorry that you have to wait so long, that is quite a long time.
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 09-26-2008 18:10
free? did you not read this part?

>Customized and/or "By Request" courses for Product & Process Sales Training can be scheduled at all ESAB training facilities or specific locations designated by the customer or Distributor. ESAB requires 30 days prior notice and a minimum of 10 students to conduct a course. Nominal fees based on customer requirements.

Parent - - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 09-26-2008 18:18
I think he works for them based on the other post here.
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 09-26-2008 18:20
even if not, I hit the register button,(after my last post) and it did indeed say $0
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / School Info Update