Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Minimum Distance between longitudinal welds of adjoining sec
- - By kylm kochunny Date 09-28-2008 05:19
As per AWS D1.1 Para 5.22.3.1, minimum distance between longitudinal welds of adjoining sections shall be 90°.
We have an issue in which the long. seams are close to 35°. The pipe size is 46". Is this is acceptable? 
Parent - - By Nanjing Date 09-29-2008 06:30
This can be accepted if agreed between the Owner and the Fabricator.
Parent - - By kylm kochunny Date 09-29-2008 12:37
Yes, you are correct.
But is there a technical justification is there to provide? e.g. Any calculation or reference to proove the integrity.
Parent - - By Nanjing Date 09-29-2008 20:43
Code does not address this.
Parent - By kylm kochunny Date 10-06-2008 05:04
Dear Nanjing,
You are very correct.
For this reason only I was looking for a valid justification, so that we can obtain a waiver from the client.
Thanks for the effort
Regards
Parent - - By Noel Tan (**) Date 09-30-2008 01:32
Kylm kochunny,

46" pipe with long. seam staggered 35degrees, the length between 2 longitudinal seams is about 360mm.
The AWS D1.1 code book specified "shall be" 90degrees means a mandatory requirement if client approval is not obtained .
(of course more accurately the code book should specified also a minimum staggered length that 2 longitudinal welds will no longer affect each other)
but with staggered length of 360mm, i think you got a chance to get the approval from your client.

* For offshore pipeline construction according to DNV standard, the staggered length is required minimum 50mm only.
Since this is for different application, so i do not think you can use it as a reference.

Regards,
Noel Tan
Parent - By kylm kochunny Date 10-06-2008 05:11
Dear Noel Tan,
Thanks for the suggestion.
We are in the process of getting a waiver from client.
We can not apply a pipeline standard here since the design for such items are based on hoop stress and here it is based on load + other criteria such cyclic, seismic etc...
Best Regards
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Minimum Distance between longitudinal welds of adjoining sec