Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Question with regard to spot welding with stick.
- - By Firv Date 09-28-2008 12:24
Good day ladies and gents,
My first post so I do hope I'm writing in the relevant area. Someone I know mentioned what a great forum you have here, so I hope you don't mind me
jumping on and asking you a question.

I'm trying to find a way (if its possible) to use my arc welder, to spot weld tiny stainless inserts into my nozzle bodies. It seems the alignment is absolutely critical, and if I TIG weld
them as per I normally do, they seem to bend, distort, who knows, off center. My idea was to use the stick welder and replace the welding rod with a 3/16th copper rod, position it, and switch on the current with an external switch on the stick welder's lead. (So i'm not turning my welder on and off really fast.) I hope it gives me a solid bond all centered so I can then weld in my SS lines which will help secure it later. As my welding experience is limited, (I'm a welding wetnose) if I can hope to achieve a some form of bond if any? Later, i was hoping to turn my old arc welder into a spot welder, but I have no idea if that's going to work.

Well, I certainly hope someone can tell me if it is not gonna happen, or if its possible :D
Take care gents,
Be well.
James.
Parent - By Steve.E (**) Date 09-30-2008 09:20
Hi Firv, I have done a similar thing on thin stainless (.5 mm) sheet however I used a large water cooled tig torch and a DC 600 welder flat out and only just got a result.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Question with regard to spot welding with stick.