Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / TIG Set Manufacturers
- By John H. UK (*) Date 10-14-2001 21:15
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone on here has ever used an ESAB TIG set? I've been told they're not particularly good but didn't ESAB develop Heli-Arc? I am not sold on the idea of getting a TIG set at all but I've been looking at ESAB and Miller sets. Miller seem to come in 60Hz only, I'm not sure if that's just the catalog I have. Also they take quite a big step, they go from the basic Econotig straight to $4.5k odd for the DX Dynasty, the next cheapest AC/DC TIG set. ESAB seem quite protective of their prices, I have to phone them to check which is highly irritating. Their AC/DC Tig sets start expensive but seem to be full of useful extras like soft arc starting and the rest. I am particularly interested in soft starts because my current MIG set keeps taking out the fuse boxes when I so much as start the wire feeder unless it's feeding into an arc. I am working on buying an old second hand knee mill at the moment but if that doesn't happen I might sell on my MIG set and buy a TIG set, see if there's any money to be made TIG'ing hobbyist bits together or small production runs for paintball fanatics. <Grins> Any comments on these two would be appreciated. ESAB seem to be the better at the moment. I would really like to have AC and atleast 200amps because it may mean selling on the acetylene torch which is good for really heavy stuff. If not, any suggestions for other good sets?

Thanks in advance,
John
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / TIG Set Manufacturers