Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / automatic welders on pipeline
1 2 Previous Next  
Parent - - By dadsin798 (*) Date 10-02-2008 01:55
What do you do???
Parent - By PipeIt (**) Date 10-02-2008 02:08
From the threads you've posted, I feel you may have the eye of the tiger, to tackle the work/trade, I agree with many of the posts, that recommend you learn and watch your Pop in action, there are a lot of women these days getting into the trades. Good Luck!
Parent - - By down19992000 Date 10-02-2008 08:16
Rockin d. You have never quit a job and you have never been fired, so you have worked for the same company your whole adult life?
Parent - By rockin d (**) Date 10-02-2008 09:33
We have 7 oilfield const. co. here at home doors are always open, thats welding .Before becoming a welder, thats a different story I went from cleaning carpets too oilfield supply hand & lord knows what other jobs i went through.. When a company gets slow i'll usually hang out about a wk. after a week i start  calling  so whoever's got work , thats where i'll go, ive been fortunate , for the past 4 - 5 yrs. i've been working for 2 comp. & just here recently 3 of those 5 yrs  i had steady work w/ one comp.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-02-2008 01:48
well hell it's been a year since i talked  to them i didnt remember at least i had half of it right they sent me an app but i got discouraged when he said 500 to test i thought if you want me to work for you give me the test like they do in the field and if ya pass yeah and if not pack ur stuff n go to the next 1 cut and dry plain and simple i know people out there making th big bucks and dont have nothing to show for it and ther are the 1's that have stuff i've dreamed of having
Parent - - By dadsin798 (*) Date 10-02-2008 01:55
What do you do Ryan??? Dads in Lake Charles, hes a Welder...
Parent - - By ryan gaspard (**) Date 10-02-2008 02:17
i am at the port i am a welder building drilling rigs for parker drilling, building the worlds largest land rig for B.P. going to alaska in the liberty field
Parent - By dadsin798 (*) Date 10-02-2008 02:28
Thanks guys....just have a lot of questions and of course Dad is working 6 days and 14 hr days so not lots of time to ask...LOL...
Parent - - By nfl Date 11-13-2009 04:28
Now, I like how the automatic machines are doing it well, but I don't like how it's replacing pipeline welders. Does that mean I shouldn't go into pipeline welding because the pay will be lower and you won't use your own skill?
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 11-13-2009 10:17
If you do not evolve, you will become EXTINCT!

"THE LAST BUGGY WHIP MAKER WAS THE BEST THERE EVER WAS!"
Ross Perot....
Parent - - By JMCInc (**) Date 11-13-2009 14:34
I watched the video posted a year ago at the beginning of this thread. The video was calling what the machine was doing a "hot pass". I don't do pipe, but from what I've gathered the process of joining two pieces of pipe requires a root pass, hot pass and cap. So can that machine pull all that off with one lap around the pipe or am I missing something?
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 11-13-2009 15:03
JMCInc
Here is another video that you should of watched first giving more info for you questions. There is a lot more.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtRaYNTKm-g&feature=related
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 11-13-2009 15:35
superflux nailed it.  I'm sure type writer repairmen were complaining about computers as well.

personally I'm all for it, because it's faster, more economical and someone still needs to run the machines. People have been worrying since the 70's that robots were gonna take all our jobs. 40 years later has it happened? 

In my personal opinion Pipelining needs to update with the times. Very little has changed in technique in the last 50 years. Does it work? Sure, but is running large quantities of stick electrodes is not the fastest or most economical. not to mention the  skill level needed to perform the welds.

anyone know the defect rates of these systems in comparison to hand welding?
Parent - By makeithot (***) Date 11-13-2009 16:24
I also would like to know what the defect rate is and how do thet make the repairs. Was looking into thse machine last year but got to busy to pursue it.
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 11-14-2009 01:54
It's not "more economical", in mainline construction an automatic weld is more expensive to make than the same weld made manually.

As for the "update with the times", the people making the decisions in the industry would use juggling mimes riding unicycles and making welds with handheld lasers to weld line pipe if they could do it cheaper and to the required levels of quality. Stick welders, working from welding rigs carrying engine drive machines dominate that particular industry because that's how the gas companies and the contractors make the most money. The millionares in the corner office suite has no sentimental connection to an old SA-200 burning 70+, he only cares about his bottom line and will adopt any method available to improve that line.

Look at todays state of the art cutting edge bulldozer. It's basically the same configuration as it's grandpappy that was moving dirt in 1940. Just bigger, more powerfull and easier controls.
Given the mega billions spent in the construction of roads, dams and buildings plus the mega billions spent moving dirt in mining operations do you really believe that the owners of the large multi national mining companies are still pushing dirt with what is a very old school machine because they have an aversion to technology? Or because they just love yellow tractors with a blade on the front?

They use what they use for the same reason transmission line owners and contractors use what they use. It's the best option available today.

Auto repairs are made manually and I don't believe there's an auto spread in the world that can pull off a repair rate anywhere close to what manual spreads do.

JTMcC.
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 11-16-2009 20:34
manual welding has a much lower capital investment.  but I would be interested to see the numbers as I doubt they are competitive with automated systems, assuming there's an automated system that can do the job at the required quality levels.

Labor is by far the largest component of welding costs, hence why in economic studies generally the process that laid the most Lb/hr  feet/hr usually won out in costing and we went with that.

what I am seeing is a lot of reluctance by some pipe line welders and foreman to look at automated systems. It's much easier to put your fingers in your ears and scream " Lah Lah Lah"  than it is to see the writing on the wall.
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 11-16-2009 23:58
You can doubt to your hearts content, but the truth is what it is.
I don't know what field you work in but from these few posts I can tell it's not mainline construction because you've missed so much.

Can I ask where you are "seeing" a lot of reluctance from welders and foremen to auto welding? The auto vs. manual decision isn't made by welders or welder foremen, they have absolutely no input whatsoever. These decisions are made at much higher levels.
Just like an infantryman has no say in what the U.S. Army standard issue light machine gun is when it's handed to him. He may prefere the Belgian counterpart instead of the M-60 (showing my age there) but he's not going to get it he's going to get the M-60 and he's going to do the job with it period.

Same with the "putting fingers in the eays" comment. Makes about as much sense as the UPS guy refusing to wear the brown uniform and instead demanding to wear his Batman suit as he cruises around in the big brown truck. Just won't work because he has literally zero input.

You can come up with your own firing line numbers that will maybe be somewhat in the ballpark, here's a few hints:

Things that somebody has to pay for on every setup of an auto job,
1) A shack (look up a price, they're pretty high with the fancy folding door ends and the fold up floor).
2) A sideboom for every shack (looking at close to a million to buy, many thousand a month to rent).
3) Extra on site mechanics w/rigs to cover the additional booms.
4) Fuel, those big Caterpillars use a lot, plus the extra hours on the fuel truck and payroll on the driver.
5) Insurance on the expensive boom.
6) Payroll on the guys changing out bottles on the boom, plus they has to have a truck (that has to be fueled and insured).
7) Techs, for repairs and upkeep on the bugs.
8) Each boom has to have an Operator, much more payroll.
9) Additional buses to transport the welders, helpers, operators.
10) Drivers for the buses.
11) Fuel, maintenance, insurance on the buses
12) Welder
13) Helper
These are a few considerations. Plus you they now have many more pieces of equipment sitting overnight on the row for the tweakers to steal off of and to vandalize.

Things that someone has to pay for on every setup on a manual job,
1) Welder
2) Helper
3) Welding Rig (this is a neato money maker for the contractor here because it is furnished, paid for, insured and maintained by the welder. It serves as his and the helpers transportation to and from the site. It has the welding machine, torchs and everything needed to do the work on it's back. It's shelter for the welder/helper when a rain/snow storm goes thru. It leaves the row at quiting time. And best of all when the job is over it goes away and it's cost does too).
4) That's about it.

It's certainly not an exact diagnosis, but it is fairly accurate for rough comparison purposes.

You run the numbers.

JTMcC.
Parent - By RioCampo (***) Date 11-17-2009 22:52
Don't forget regular safety training for those employees
Motels and meals for employees also.
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 11-18-2009 15:36
I would have to see the hard numbers, but I still don't buy it.  Machinery is considered a one time capital investment with a low recurring fixed cost (maintenance, fuel and all that) Also with the way government does depreciation right now you can  save 10-50% off the price in terms of a tax breaks depending upon the classification of a machine.

Capital costs are preferred over recurring costs, because well.. it's one time as opposed to recurring, and a lot of that depends on the ROI.
Here's how it works, If you sink a million dollars into a machine plus another 100,000 a year in labor, that can do a job exactly the same job as 200,000 worth of sub contracted labor. It seems like you loose out, however after 10 years, you've more or less broke even, not to mention government wise machinery is usually completely written off in around 3-11 years which is a huge tax break. Now your running an extra 100,000 a year.  This is not a perfect example as 10 years is relatively long for an ROI but you get the point. If you stay with labor it's going to be 200,000 a year like clockwork and it would be near impossible to shed that expense (unless you advocate paying people less)

From my understanding of automated pipe welding systems, they are a time saver, are they a labor saver too? I.E producing more joints per man hour? I would be curious to see how they do for defect rates as compared to manual welding.

The costings must be getting very competitive as outfits are running automated piping systems right now. It's probably not because they enjoy doing things more expensive either, I'm certain they have some kinks to work out and I doubt they will ever be able to do every joint or some hard to reach joints.

and the comment about the "ears in fingers" I know welders aren't calling the shots, but some people, and not to generalize but usually the " 'ol dawgs"  are reluctant to adapt or even embrace new technology. From a welder/ operator/ foreman aspect an automated piping system is different than 100% manual welding, and takes different skill sets.  The people who put their fingers in their ears and say that the day will never come when automated piping systems are common place, and who refuse to do anything but pickup a stinger. Will find themselves either priced out of the market or the market will evolve and they will be redundant. There will always be a place for skilled pipeliners and stick welders, but in my crstal ball I don't see SMAW pipe lining as the technology that's gonna carry us through the current century.

Adapt or Die, is how I see it, and writing off the technology isn't really adapting.
Parent - By JTMcC (***) Date 11-18-2009 22:15
Like I said once already, you don't have to buy it.

But you didn't answer my question, Where are you seeing reluctance from welders and welder foremen? I get the distinct impression you've never working in the field so I'm curious, WHERE are you seeing this?

I've been in business long enough to recognize when someone is reciting what they've read in a book or on the internet. And, I don't take advise on my tax situation via a welding chat forum. Heaven knows I have enough real world experience in business taxes to last me several lifetimes, it's really one of my least favorite parts of the gig (and it's about to get a whooooole lot worse). So I skipped over that part.

Don't impune motives or attitudes to me, I haven't commented on auto as either good, bad or indifferent. You take a lot of side tracks and assume a lot about my post.
I DID comment on the cost per weld between auto and manual in the mainline environment. And I stand by that based on real world numbers. For the third time now, feel free to disagree, but you appear to be disagreeing with no personal experience to base it on and that's not a very credible stance.
That's fine too. Lot's of people argue different particulars of the pipeline construction world without ever having made a living in that world, it's the internet afterall. I've had people argue how "it should be done" that have never set foot on a row, they get to do that if they want.
I have a pretty good idea what opinions to take seriously and which ones to just let slide on by.

That's my take, take it or leave it.

JTMcC.
Parent - - By Smokin_1 (**) Date 11-14-2009 21:05
we lay pipe with automatic welders, 5 welding stations. station 1 does the root and hot pass the rest do fill and finally in station 5 they cap, it takes 3 welders on each machine for bigger pipe because more than one wire welder is used at each station. however if there is a repair, and we do have them, any station can be programed to "weld out" from root all the way to cap. 36" 2.5" wall we can pull a joint about every 10 min.
Parent - - By ruero (**) Date 11-15-2009 04:24
We are using the Sarimax system right now on the 36" Alberta Clipper line in ND. There are 4 shacks 2 welders 2 helpers each, we avd. about 1-1/2 mi/day. We started end of Aug and have 12miles of mainline left out of almost 70. This is my first time on the auto and it is pretty kickass.
Parent - - By MMyers (**) Date 11-16-2009 21:37
I interviewed with those guys, Sarimax.  The system I saw in their shop was narrow groove MIG if I remember right.  Is that what you guys are running?
Parent - - By ruero (**) Date 11-17-2009 04:49
The sarimax is a slick system and yes it is narrow, not much over 1/4" using a J bevel. Most of the mainline is .406 wall thickness but there are .436, .459 and some .502 all x70, of corse each wt will use differnt number heads on the bug and passes, all are 2 bead cap. The other sys out there is the CRC I have not run them.
Parent - - By NMWELDING (**) Date 11-18-2009 23:59
I`m not sure what the future holds for mainline pipe welding in the U.S.,but when it comes to automated welding on pipe the Europeans are way ahead of us. I know both systems have their pros and cons. I was just wondering if anyone has any input on this.{Do the Europeans see or know something that we do not?} This is an interesting topic and I`d like to hear more. Thanks.
Parent - By Northweldor (***) Date 11-19-2009 13:46
I would also like to know more. The Serimax website is interesting despite the usual company hype,and I found this 5 year old article gave a good overview of processes,
http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?pid=S1678-58782004000100015&script=sci_arttext
but I find hard to believe that there aren't people at Lincoln, Miller, Hobart, Edison etc. working to compete with companies like Serimax.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / automatic welders on pipeline
1 2 Previous Next