Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Galvinized Gate
- - By gawelder (**) Date 09-30-2008 22:18
I have a customer that wants me to build a 30ft. gate for him out of galvinized pipe. I will drink some milk before I build the gate and I will have a exhaust fan to draw the fumes away from me. I used  to have a respirator that fits under my hood. Can someone tell me where I can find another respirator that will fit under my hood.
                                                                                  thanks,
                                                                                               gawelder
Parent - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 10-01-2008 00:55
i cut on a galvanized cellar under a drilling rig last week. I got sicker than a dog. Good Luck!
Parent - - By makeithot (***) Date 10-01-2008 02:05
Would it be possible to build the gate first and then send it out for galvinizing? I have done other projects this way and faster in most cases because you don't have to deal with grinding and prep. But if not "North" makes a great double hose respirater that fits under your hood and has the filter pack on your back. Not sure but I think you can order them on-line or at any safety supply outlet.
Parent - By thewelder (***) Date 10-01-2008 03:28
HI, I'm Jaime "thewelder" I done this before and is chipper to get the pipe galvanized and prep. your self or if you going to charge the costumer the "galvanizeing" it's OK. because the galvanizeing sev. is no chippe. you can get the 3M resp. on Homedepot for about $20.00.
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 10-01-2008 04:22
makeithot has a good suggestion, Thats the route I would go, otherwise you need to zinc coat all your welds too. If going this route, don't forget your weep holes!
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 10-01-2008 13:14
If galvanizing after fabrication, don't forget internal venting if you have hollow (pipe or tube) pickets.  You could use internal venting where pickets attach to the frame, and then use fill and vent holes in the frame, rather than using vent holes in the pickets.  The gate will look better than having all those exposed holes that may need to be plugged after galvanizing.  The American Galvanizing Association has a free chart they'll send you that shows design for galvanizing, which covers minimum hole diameters and proper fabrication practices.  
Parent - - By Bob Garner (***) Date 10-01-2008 14:27
A minor thing but your galvanizing vents should be located to drain during rains.  I also like the idea of fabbing it out of black iron and having it hot-dipped after fabrication.  For what it's worth, engineers like to do it this way rather than the ZRC touch up of the welds, which never seems to last.
Will you draw up and detail the gate?  If a good detailer does it for you, he should know where to put the galvanizing vents/drains.  The referencs to American Galvanizing Association is excellent - they have great info.
Parent - By vagabond (***) Date 10-01-2008 14:39
You might want to consider powder coating if there is someone around you who does it.  I find it very durable as a coating and last time I had it done it was quite a bit cheaper than galvanizing.  About 2/3 the cost if I remember right.
Parent - - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 10-01-2008 14:38
Go to any big box store or paint store and get the low profile 3M unit, I think the number is 6000 or something like that.  It will fit under your hood and not be too uncomfortable.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Health/Safety/Products/Catalog/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LES9MG812H2_nid=GSCDHS2HL4gsF3RH7CD92Ngl9VMNVJ52Z6bl
Parent - By geebee509 Date 10-09-2008 19:45
3M of course makes many different respirators for different purposes. The one they recommend for welding galvanized is model 8214. You can buy them at MSC at 10 for $78 or go to a store called Masks N More where they will sell you one for $6.95 + shipping.

When you clean the weld, use a zinc rich spray can to touch up the area and it will last a long time.

For more on safety welding galvanized go to http://www.sperkoengineering.com/html/articles/WeldingGalvanized.pdf

Usual disclaimer here

Gil
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Galvinized Gate