Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Disclaimer
1 2 Previous Next  
- - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-01-2008 14:52
To cover myself against some idiot hurting him/her self while reading my posts, I have added this handy little disclaimer:

DISCLAIMER: This post does not reflect the thoughts or opinions of either myself, my company, my friends, my dog, parrot, canary or my cat; don't quote me on that; don't quote me on anything; all rights reserved; you may distribute this posting freely but you may not make a profit from it; taglines are subject to change without notice; taglines are slightly enlarged to show detail; any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, is unintentional and purely coincidental; do not remove this tagline under penalty of law; hand wash only, tumble dry on low heat; do not bend, fold, mutilate, or spindle; your mileage may vary; no substitutions allowed; for a limited time only; this offer is void where prohibited, taxed, or otherwise restricted; caveat emptor; product is provided "as is" without any warranties; user assumes full responsibility; an equal opportunity tagline employer; no shoes, no shirt, no taglines; quantities are limited while supplies last; if any defects are discovered, do not attempt to fix them yourself, but return to an authorized service center; read at your own risk; parental advisory - explicit lyrics; text may contain explicit materials some readers may find objectionable, parental guidance is advised; keep away from sunlight; keep away from pets and small children; limit one-per-family please; no money down; no purchase necessary; you need not be present to win; some assembly required; batteries not included; instructions are included; action figures sold separately; no preservatives added; slippery when wet; safety goggles may be required during use; sealed for your protection, do not use if safety seal is broken; call before you dig; not liable for damages arising from use or misuse; for external use only; if rash, irritation, redness, or swelling develops, discontinue use; use only with proper ventilation; avoid extreme temperatures and store in a cool dry place; keep away from open flames; avoid contact with eyes and skin and avoid inhaling fumes; do not puncture, incinerate, or store above 120 degrees Fahrenheit; do not place near a flammable or magnetic source; smoking these taglines could be hazardous to your health; the best safeguard, second only to abstinence, is the use of a condom; no salt, MSG, artificial color or flavoring added; if ingested, do not induce vomiting, and if symptoms persist, consult a physician; taglines are ribbed for your pleasure; possible penalties for early withdrawal; offer valid only at participating Fidonet sites; slightly higher west of the Rockies; allow four to six weeks for delivery; must be 18 to enter; disclaimer does not cover misuse, accident, lightning, flood, tornado, tsunami, volcanic eruption, earthquake, hurricanes and other Acts of God, neglect, damage from improper installation, incorrect line voltage, improper or unauthorized repair, broken antenna or marred cabinet, missing or altered serial numbers, electromagnetic radiation from nuclear blasts, sonic boom vibrations, customer adjustments that are not covered in the tagline list, and incidents owing to an airplane crash, ship sinking or taking on water, motor vehicle crashing, dropping the item, falling rocks, leaky roof, broken glass, mud slides, forest fire, or projectile (which can include, but not be limited to, arrows, bullets, shot, BB's, shrapnel, lasers, napalm, gerbils, torpedoes, or emissions of X-rays, Alpha, Beta and Gamma rays, knives, hamsters, stones, etc.); other restrictions may apply. If something offends you, lighten up, get a life, and move on. :-)
Parent - By vagabond (***) Date 10-01-2008 14:57
Nice. . . . . the part about warnings on different things out there just has to make you wonder did some idiot actually do that before the warning was there????  Probably. . . .
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 10-01-2008 15:00
I thought I had read somewhere in the National Enquirer that your posts also caused cancer in rats from the state of California ?
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-01-2008 15:10
Yeah, but they are just rats, from CA no less. :-)
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 10-01-2008 15:09
My lawsuit was dated before you posted this.
I was traumatized by the way you treated those nice bears in your salmon business post.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-01-2008 15:11
Hey, they had it coming. Did you see that one on the bank giving me the stink eye? He was begging for a swift kick to the nut's. :-)
Parent - - By sandra Date 10-01-2008 15:34
animal abuse........... thier coming for you............too much time on your hands
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 10-06-2008 18:19 Edited 10-06-2008 19:34
Proud member of PETA. People eating tasty animals.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-06-2008 19:23
Me too!!!! :-)

jrw159
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-24-2008 20:03
If we are not supposed to eat animals why are they made of meat? :-)

jrw159
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-30-2008 15:40
Here you go. :-)

jrw159
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 10-30-2008 20:33
LOL, Think I'll have to make a print of that into a Tshirt
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-31-2008 15:07
Here is another one. :-)
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 11-03-2008 11:27
LOL
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 10-01-2008 16:50
You forgot DO NOT IRON WHILE WEARING.  :)
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 10-01-2008 17:36
Speaking of animal cruelty, I was adding milk to my afternoon coffee the other day when an animal lover said, "Do you know that milk belongs to a calf?" It was her first day at work, so I replied, "Take it easy, I ate that calf for lunch."  as we stood there, I asked her if she knows that mother cows who have abortions are called decalfinated.

Another thought.  What do you think about PETA asking Ben and Jerry's to use women's breast milk in their ice cream? What would they call it, "Memories of Mama's Mammaries"? Advertise a picture of a kid holding an ice cream cone in each hand and with the caption "Mama's Milk Cones... two tempting handfuls".  With my previous farming experience, all I want to know is where can I sign up to run the milking machines?  
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-01-2008 17:41
Now that would be one great job!!!
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-01-2008 19:09
i wanna be your helper
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 10-01-2008 20:46
ROFLMAO!!!!
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-01-2008 19:35
yup it's slowing down in the shop again if ya have time to type that much tag line ribbed for your pleasure how do you know about this nevermind i dont wanna know lol
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-01-2008 19:43
You way over estimate my typing skills. LOL Cut and paste partner!!!! :-)

And no, you don't want to know.

jrw159
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 10-01-2008 20:44
Now, I'm CERTAIN you have no job other than to sit at a desk all day & screw off. :-)

I need to get a job as a CWI so I can too. :-)

You really make me laugh John. :-)

LMAO!!!!!
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-01-2008 22:44
I can only hope you have to do what I had to before you get to this stage. :-)

I will never forget the time a worker was walking down the ROW hauling skids, and he stopped and turned to me and asked, "How many years of school do I need to get a cushy job like yours?" I was able to proudly answer, "NONE, I am where I am as a direct result of years of hard core in the field experiance."

Now I have people that work for me, and they love it.

FWIW

jrw159
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 10-02-2008 02:10
I dunno, I think you schmoozed your way there with eloquent talk & payoffs. :-)

I would be honored to work for you. I know you have been there & treat your guys accordingly.

I haven't welded like some have, but I've been there & I know what you got to go thru to get where you are at now.

I just did it washing stoves & pots. Worked my up from the bottom to running a 25 man crew. If you have been there, the crew knows it & they will respect you as opposed to someone who hasn't.

Even though you have my utmost respect, I'm still going to rag the heck out of you every chance I get West. :-)

You salmon farming, bear ball kicking, shark fighting creampuff. :-)

You're the MAN John! Serious. S.W.
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 10-02-2008 04:59
I got my ass in trouble for watching a u-tube video about my company. but have never even been asked about all the research on the AWS forum I partake in. :)
in between jobs now, for 2 weeks i have got blisters on my butt doing nothing but reading the forums and watching 1 video. And I still get paid!
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 10-01-2008 22:51
Where do I sign......................?
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-01-2008 22:56
AWS has all the forms. :-) and you have the experiance. The BIG question is... can you pass the test, and then apply the cert.?

IMHO you would make a great inspector. You for sure have the balls for it.

jrw159
Parent - By vagabond (***) Date 10-02-2008 02:34
The best part is when the companies do install "watchdog" software on your computer and they find out I am spending 4 hrs. a day B.Sing on here they think WOW what a dedicated inspector that guy is, he spends all that time doing research on the AWS website.  And Sourdough I definitely think you should look into inspection it's too much fun . . . . I especially like it when I get a guy who challenges my skills as a welder,  not that I'm the best welder out there but I'm as good or better than a lot of the wannabe's I have to test these days.  That's why I'm glad I'm heading back to the slope hopefully for good.  100% means 100% up there unless a lot has changed in the last few years. 
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 10-06-2008 16:12
When my arthritis (sp) is bad enough, and my liver is about done, yes I will become an inspector! I'll get me one of them ranger atv's and run up and down that right of way screaming profanities all day long like a banty rooster...........yep yep yep
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-06-2008 16:15
LOL, I can see it now!!! BTW becomeing an inspector will NOT help your liver, this will actually speed up that process. :-)

jrw159
Parent - - By vagabond (***) Date 10-06-2008 22:27
Speaking of ATV's I actually had a guy from Rifle call me a couple months back and offer me an inspection job on a pipeline.  He was telling me all about it then he says do you have a 4wd truck???  Yeah I do I said,  he said that was good because it was to cold for a 4 wheeler in the winter.  Apparently the inspectors were expected to provide their own truck and 4 wheeler.  I was laughing so hard I dropped the telephone,  I think he was a little insulted when I explained why I didn't want to work for him.  He said guys liked it cause it was a long term job. . . . . . I figured that was one more reason I didn't want to work for him, there's nothing worse than a steady job,  it makes a man complacent LOL.
Parent - By JTMcC (***) Date 10-06-2008 22:52
The inspectors on the pipelines I hang around on (all inspection not just welding, there are inspectors for every aspect of the work) all have a truck or jeep and a lot of them haul a quad or rhino type toy. It's like everyone else that furnishes a vehicle on the pipeline, they are paid for it. Same as the welding rig or mechanics rig or equipment operators pickup. They get paid for use offthe personal vehicle(s) on the right of way.
Pipeline inspectors also get paid for their laptop, their digital camera, ect, ect. The tools pay for themselves and make you a bit of profit if you're not stupid.
Inspectors consider this a money making plus. The ones I know are making right at or over $3000 per week right now. A large chunk of that is non taxable, like the welders.

JTMcC.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-06-2008 23:40
I have seen this as an option in the past. It saves wear and tear on your truck and is a tax write off. You can park your truck and 4-wheel it down the ROW. You can write off expense for this "vehicle" on your taxes. It AINT .48 a mile but save your receipts and bills associated with said "vehicle" and it it tax deductible.

BUT this item is just like a welding machine. Go big or go home. If it breaks down on, or will not get you down, the ROW, it is a long walk to the truck. Then you need to load that POS up and get it of the ROW by COB and don't bring it back tomorrow unless it will make the day. Plain and simple. :-)

jrw159
Parent - - By vagabond (***) Date 10-07-2008 00:16 Edited 10-07-2008 00:22
Well he wasn't offering no 3000 a week.  FWIW I can make that w/o supplying a truck or a 4-wheeler, just a lil ol bag of inspection tools and a flashlight.  Hell yeah if someone offers me the money to make it worthwhile I'd consider it but it'd have to be pretty good coin to supply a truck and 4-wheeler,  I've made well over 3k a week chasing outages as an inspector and I keep it I don't send it to the bank for a truck or 4-wheeler payment!!!  I mean this guy was talking like 42 an hour if I remember right. . . . . not this kid.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-07-2008 03:37
I can for sure relate to the "bag of tools" and the power they hold, but you got a whole lot of walking to do if you don't have some kind of transportation that will withstand the ROW.

42 per hour??

jrw159
Parent - - By vagabond (***) Date 10-07-2008 14:04
Well I suppose I'll just have to keep doing what I'm doing until someone offers me a decent paying pipeline job.   I'd like to work on a pipeline as an inspector,  I've always thought it would be a cool job to work on new construction of one.  I've worked on maintenance jobs with pipelines and liked those and I'm pretty familiar with 1104.  But unless I get like 15-20 an hour on top of what I get now I can't justify supplying a truck and 4-wheeler.  As a welder if I wanted to bring a truck out there I'd rig up and go as a welder instead of an inspector.  Right now with my new job I have 6 months a year off at home so I'm thinking about opening a little fab shop to keep me out of trouble,  I could probably stay pretty busy with farmers projects in my area is what I'm thinking. 
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-07-2008 14:22
Please don't misunderstand, a 4-wheeler is usually not a requirement, but an option. But sometimes 4 wheel drive is a requirement. They don't like haveing to hook up to an inspectors vehicle to get them unstuck.

One could equate a 4x4 to 2x4 on pipelines much the same as an SA200 to a crackerjack welding machine. If you spend more time getting pulled out of holes than you do inspecting, you are not benificial to the project. They will usually cover this in the "dependable vehicle" section of the application.

Hope that makes a little more sense.

jrw159 :-)
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-07-2008 14:28
wouldnt it be like running a rig and you get paid for the use of your truck not it's not usually worth the wear and tear on ur truck but i would tink there would be some kind of an allowance for the use of your truck or 4-wheeler oh boy a 4 wheeler what fun i'd prolly get fired the first day jumping across the ditch lollook mom no hands
Parent - - By vagabond (***) Date 10-07-2008 14:34 Edited 10-07-2008 14:42
Yeah this company told me that a certain part of the money was a truck and 4-wheeler allowance so it would not be taxed but it wasn't very much,  I think it was 10 an hr. so you were taxed on 32 an hour.  That coupled with the fact the per diem wasn't up to snuff made it something I didn't want to get into.  I suppose maybe it would have been different if I did a lot of this type of work.  But I figured if I didn't like it and left than I'd have a truck and a 4-wheeler I'd have to sell at a loss because I wouldn't need them.  It would be a nice way to write off a 4-wheeler if the money was right that's for sure.  Thanks for the info Jr159.
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-07-2008 14:41
yup i agree 10 an hr not taxed for truck and 4 wheeler lol get real 10 an hr each maybe and they pay the fuel but not 10 for both
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-07-2008 14:55
Anytime partner. :-)
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-07-2008 14:58
Generally you would get mileage for the truck. This usually turns out pretty well as long as you take care of it, just as one would maintnance a welding machine. If you use the old "run it till it drops" theory, you will come to a point where you have to drop some bucks for a new ride.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-07-2008 15:20
well if you're only running 1-3 miles a day i dont see how it's worth it but i never been on the line so idont really know just going by what i read yeah i know dontbelieve everything you read but i still wanna jump the ditch w a 4 wheeler
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-07-2008 15:26
Mileage paid door to door. I have never been lucky enough to be that close to the ROW. On an average, when I did pipeline inspections I logged in 40 to 60 miles a day. That is from the motel to the ROW, up and down as needed, then back to the room. When I was up on the western slope, there was a few times I logged in some large #'s for mileage.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-07-2008 15:39
well that sweetens it a lil bit but you didnt jump the ditch on a 4 wheeler
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-07-2008 15:44
Nope, only because I did not have a good oportunity. LOL

I will hold your beer and watch you do it though! LOL :-)

jrw159
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-07-2008 15:50
well i aint ever jumped a dtch but i have ran thru a stock tank and jumped off the bank it is a blast and i never spilled a drop lol
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-07-2008 15:52
LOL, must have been a longneck bottle. :-)
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-07-2008 15:58
i'm a samrt redneck had a beer holder with a velcro strap
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-07-2008 16:09
Smart/redneck? isn't that a contradiction of terms? LOL
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Disclaimer
1 2 Previous Next