Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / welding commercials?
- - By mountainman (***) Date 10-01-2008 20:30
i can't say that i have ever seen a commercial on t.v. that promotes welding. has anyone else? if not it would be a good idea to promote welding. i think most kids nowadays spend a little time in front of the t.v.

JJ
Parent - - By johnnyh (***) Date 10-01-2008 20:36
The UA used to sponsor a nascar driver.  It don't get any more commercial than that.

I wish there was more attention paid to the trades.  Kids don't even realize that they are there.
Parent - By PipeIt (**) Date 10-02-2008 18:29
Yep Rusty Wallace
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 10-01-2008 22:55
Someone had a post on here not too long ago that included a couple clips of Jay Leno promoting, and praising Welders. It was very cool!
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 10-02-2008 13:31
The closet I've seen lately was a list of 100 things a guy should know how to do. I think it was in popular mechanics
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 10-02-2008 13:57
what were the other 99? :)
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 10-02-2008 14:09
I'm lucky I remembered 1
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-02-2008 14:55
I saw one the other day for some welding school in TX, can't remember what school, but it was pushing the fact that welding is not going away and is an ever growing industry with a need for new blood.

Honestly, it caught me off guard and I was glad to see it. :-)

jrw159
Parent - - By Bob Garner (***) Date 10-02-2008 15:14
Someone here recently posted a video of a Tig welder "Walking the Cup".  That really caught my eye and I was watching it over and over (you understand).  My wife was watching a neighbor's young daughter while neighbor was running errors.  The little girl, I think about 11 years old, saw me watching the video and said "Wow".  She became as transfixed as I was and watched the video over and over with me.  I told her she could learn to do this.  She didn't really believe me - I think she thought this was some kind of magic. 

I think this could be a great ad for welding.  Add some rock (rap?) music, whatever, an address to the welding school, and watch 'em line up.

Bob Garner
Parent - - By PipeIt (**) Date 10-02-2008 18:32
There are some cool You tube videos, of all kinds of welding going on Pipeline, Boiler Makers, Tig on stainless pipe etc.
Parent - By Jenn (***) Date 10-02-2008 18:51
Yeah there are. When family members of mine can't really comprehend what I'm doing or talking about when describing something, I usually snag one and email it to them to show them. You tube is great!!!
Parent - By snuffman (***) Date 10-02-2008 16:12
ITT Tech in Dallas, has one that plays ever so often in the evenings.
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 10-02-2008 19:44
Probably the biggest promotion of welding in the general public are shows like biker buildoff, myth busters, build it bigger and any of those other shows that feature metal fab and invariably welding.  I know Jesse James did some welding promotion and he had a branded line of welders with his emblems on them. I think some people get into welding cause they see those shows and want to make custom bikes or what ever and you won't get far unless you know how to weld.

Popular Mechanics recently had a list of 100 things every man should know. Welding was number 38 I believe, also had things like how to properly split wood, how to use basic tools, how to change a babies' diaper, how to do CPR etc etc. It was a fun read they had someone from the Hobart school demonstrate a proper stick weld. http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/upgrade/4223337.html?page=1  there's the online version but it doesn't contain the stick welding part.

There's very little in the way of high profile welders. Movies never do welders any service. In every movie it's always a grungy shop and apparently they are carbon arc gouging because it's always a see of sparks with very little welding actually being done.
Parent - - By Bob Garner (***) Date 10-02-2008 20:19
Anyone remember the movie, "Flashdance" and the opening scene of her welding?  Now that's a classic.
Parent - - By Jenn (***) Date 10-02-2008 20:37
I get so sick of ppl saying "oh like flashdance" when I tell them I'm going to school to be a welder...... it makes me want to barf on their shoes!!!  :) But I guess it is the only female welder they can think of.

*apologies for the off topic*
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 10-03-2008 01:17
funny you should mention that for years I taught dancing, more specifically break dancing so I heard a few jokes about flash dance. We also had a female in our group who happened to be a welding student too, she was a mighty fine TIG welder and dancer!

There needs to be a movie that has a welder as a main character.
Parent - By HgTX (***) Date 10-02-2008 20:53
Did they have someone from Hobart demonstrate how to change a diaper too?

Hg
Parent - By sandra Date 10-02-2008 22:23
HI JJ,
I actually called lincoln electric today i was wondering the same thing. i spoke to Becky she said that welding is more of a trade or hobby and does not catch peoples attention when advertised on t.v. ( the example she gave me was a sink faucet she says sink faucets are advertised on t.v. because every household has one so people pay attention to the commercial unlike welding not everyone is interested in the trade so they would just flip the channel) the only advertising they do is web,newsletters and so forth.
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 10-03-2008 12:16
I was thinking maybe AWS had ought to consider a program that contributes advertising for trade schools on major cable and satellite venues.  Look at what American Chopper did for Miller.
Parent - - By sandra Date 10-03-2008 15:08
HI BOZAKTWO1  I WAS SURFING THE WEB AND THIS IS WHAT I FOUND FOR AWS

American Welding Society Releases Television Commercials
http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play?p=WELDING+COMMERCIALS&n=21&ei=utf-8&js=1&fr=yfp-t-501&fr2=tab-web&tnr=20&vid=000142540258

I found it very interesting. I think we need more commercials like this advertised on t.v.
Parent - - By sandra Date 10-03-2008 15:51
WOW THIS IS THE BOMB I THINK I FOUND MY NEXT CAREER I WAS GOING TO START TAKING CLASSES AT OUR LOCAL COLLEGE FOR FORENSIC SCIENCE BUT I THINK THIS VIDEO JUST CHANGED MY MIND

http://video.google.com/videosearch?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GPEA_enUS289US289&q=welding%20commercials&um=1&sa=N&tab=wv#q=welding%20t.v.%20commercials&emb=0&start=0
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-03-2008 15:53
Sandra,
  That is for sure some cool stuff!!  Underwater welding is awsome.

John
Parent - - By sandra Date 10-03-2008 16:02
Sure does look awesome just need to know where to begin. Time to start calling around and do some more surfing on the web. See what kinda info i can pull up.
Parent - - By johnnyh (***) Date 10-03-2008 16:08
Here some cool pics that one of our forum members posted.

http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?pid=72329;hl=underwater%20welding%20picture
Parent - By sandra Date 10-03-2008 16:18
Loved it thanks a bunch i need to p.m. him to see if he is willing to email me some of those pics.
Parent - - By octavio morales (*) Date 10-03-2008 16:11
i heard you have to be able to swim 5 miles in open ocean water before you can start schooling to become a underwater welder. i don't know about you, but i couldn't do that.
Parent - By sandra Date 10-03-2008 16:20
Well if thats the case I better start training now before I even try to apply
Parent - - By RANDER (***) Date 10-03-2008 16:25
Talk to a school recruiter and im sure they will tell you different. 
Parent - - By sandra Date 10-03-2008 17:00
I'll do that thanks Rander
Parent - - By RANDER (***) Date 10-03-2008 19:08
Parent - By sandra Date 10-03-2008 19:38
Thank you for this info I am going to look into it and talk it over with my husband. I really need all the help I can get.
Parent - - By sandra Date 10-03-2008 20:20
Ok i requested a catalog from Ocean Corp in Houston. Hopefully i will recieve it soon. Now getting my husband to give me the heads up is going to be someone iffy, but once he sees that this is something that really has caught my interest i think he'll be okay with it.
Parent - - By RANDER (***) Date 10-03-2008 20:34
Good for you.  I would also suggest that you search the forum for underwater welding and you will find further discussion on the topic as well as opinions from people who are or have done some wet welding.  (Or start a new thread on the topic) The two names Allen mentions are the same two im thinking of.  Maybe they can direct you to some other sources of information.  The school recruiters may tell you about all the money to be made and none of the pitfalls.  You should be as well informed as possible before speaking to them and ask questions! Their job is to get you in their school .... Period. There are many inland dive companies aside from the offshore Cos.Try to find out how much welding you would perform underwater vs. topside,  Pay difference between topside and underwater, How long you can expect to be a tender, weeks of work per year, etc......  
Parent - By sandra Date 10-09-2008 14:26
I got the catalog I requested from Ocean Corp yesterday afternoon.My hubby still kinda iffy about the whole thing he wants me to wait till my 2 1/2 yr old starts school. I'm hoping he'll change his mind.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 10-14-2008 12:54
Yeah, welding and breathing fresh air at the same time. lol  Can't beat it. ;-)
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-14-2008 13:30
Kix,
A little off topic, but FWIW, it can be done on the surface too. Your comment brings to mind the first thought that went through my mind several years ago when I purchased my first air assisted hood. It was a Racal rather than a Speedglas. It is really nice to have fresh air fed into the hood.

jrw159 

https://weldingsupply.securesites.com/cgi-bin/enlarge.pl?main/Speedglas/15-1101-21.gif:Specifications
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 10-03-2008 18:51
Hello Sandra, if you would like a heads-up on the underwater stuff look to "makeithot" or "grndchuck" here on the forum, both of those gentlemen have had a lot of experience in this area and could answer many of your questions. For the others who might have information forgive me for ommiting you. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By sandra Date 10-03-2008 19:42
Thanks Allen, I will do a search for their post and read them. Hopefully they will answer some of my question.
Parent - By Weldrwomn (*) Date 10-03-2008 20:18
HIWT has a welding commercial
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 10-05-2008 22:14
Hello mountainman, a little late to reply here, but just today I actually saw some welding included in one of "Kobalt" tool's commercials and they were actually using the helmet as it was intended. I don't know how many of you out there get a bit aggravated every time you see someone using a cutting or welding torch with an arc welding helmet during a show, but I do. I realize with the newer electronic hoods that this could actually be done as was intended, but every time I see this it is usually with an older style hood that you know doesn't have an electronic cartridge in it. Best regards, aevald
Parent - By mountainman (***) Date 10-06-2008 14:11
exactly, Allan. most of the actors probably don't even know what it is that they just put on their head.
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / welding commercials?