Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Non-US Welding Codes
- - By ROBERT HANSON Date 10-01-2008 23:24
Would anyone happen to be familiar with a weld code SN 200, sheet 3? Most of the drawing is in German.Is there any way to cross referance with AWS codes? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 10-02-2008 19:43
Stephen!
You're the one who must answer this question!
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By Stephan (***) Date 10-03-2008 23:55
Giovanni,

thank your very much for your confidence in my person!

Even though I would like to help very much, the information from Robert Hansen contains unfortunately to little details.

The designations are honestly completely unknown to me - unfortunately.

If we may receive somewhat more, perhaps I were able to help!

Best regards,
Stephan
Parent - - By ROBERT HANSON Date 10-04-2008 01:18
Hi Stephan-
      Unfortunately I can`t read very much German! The prints that I have are very vague. The sn200 call-out is the only thing in english.
The material used for the assemblies is 1045,a very common material-but will have quite a bit of tensile stress on them.I personally believe that a 11018 with 100% penetration would suffice.Please feel free to comment!
                                                                                    thanks for your response and any further advice,Robert
Parent - By Stephan (***) Date 10-04-2008 07:53
Hi Robert,

thanks for replying!

Is the designation "SN 200" a translation from German into English?

What are the concrete information you are looking for? Mechanical properties of the materials to be used?

Sorry for being no great help for you by now, but it's as you say: "...very vague".

Perhaps you can send me a PM for the case of any proprietary information.

Best regards,
Stephan
Parent - - By Stephan (***) Date 10-04-2008 14:56 Edited 10-04-2008 14:59
Robert,

as you have mentioned the designation "1045" please let me ask if you mean an SAE 1045?

This material - as far as you meant this - is according to the German standard "EN 10083-1 (10/1996)" which is the replacement for the old DIN 17201 a/o DIN 17204.

It is a quenched and tempered construction steel and standardized as "C45E" (old designation: Ck 45).

The material has mechanical properties as follows:

Tensile Strength: 700... 850 MPa
0.2 Yield Strength: 370... 490 MPa 
Elongation (A5): 14... 17 %

For the welding procedure (SMAW presumed) please find attached some information in terms of preheating and welding (WeldingProcess.pdf) as well as the appropriate continuous TTT-diagram for your kind information.

I hope this helps a bit and my assumptions with respect to the material grade were correct.

Best regards,
Stephan
Parent - - By ROBERT HANSON Date 10-04-2008 21:33
Hi Stephan!
      Thank you so very much for the information! The material is indeed SAE 1045.I had actually gone back thru some old welding manuals and it seems that the 7018 is the preferred consumable.I have been welding for just over 25yrs abd this is the first encounter without a cross-referance.Your input has helped me greatly and is very appreciated and respected.
                                                                                            Much Thanks!-Robert
Parent - By Stephan (***) Date 10-05-2008 15:05
My pleasure!

Thanks Robert!

Best regards,
Stephan
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 10-02-2008 22:44
I am unfamiliar with SN200.  However, I have worked as a consultant trying to figure out common denominators between several European codes and US Codes.  In general there is no apples to apples comparison and conversions.  It was always easier to re-qualify to the other code.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 10-04-2008 10:06
Oh any I've met in this forum, Stephan would be my first choice for being able to provide good information.
Parent - - By Stephan (***) Date 10-04-2008 14:19
Jon!

I bow my head before you, Sir!

Your words do honor me outstandingly - thank you so much for that!

As I have now the chance I'll take the opportunity to add something what's really important for me to say.

I have read some recent posts coming from you and it's great that it appears that you'll find some time for the forum again! :-)

And Sir, to be honest...

I love reading your excellent adivices and this - believe me - I would have said also even if you would'nt have posted this above! :-)

Best to you and I hope you're doing good and they may treat you quite well in Kazachstan,
Stephan
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 10-05-2008 00:58
Stephan, my German brother, believe me when I say this publically, it is I who am honored by your friendship, you are surely one of the most intelligent people I have ever had the pleasure of corresponding with!  Life in Kazakhstan is very good as far as my work goes, this is the most technically challenging job of my career and a nice "kick-start" that reminds me why I love our field so dearly!!!

My warmest regards to your wife and son.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Non-US Welding Codes