Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / SMAW rod; is one brand better??
- - By twodogs Date 10-18-2001 02:08
I have heard airco is better than lincoln.
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 10-18-2001 21:19
Seeing how Airco doesn't exist anymore and knowing how Lincoln rods weld, I'd have to say that's right - Airco IS better than Lincoln.

Parent - By don (**) Date 10-19-2001 01:13
Oh my, that was the most hilarious reply I have seen in a while, I about busted a gut laughing, thanks for making my day!
Parent - - By - Date 10-19-2001 21:57
I do not think that one can make a blanket statement that one brand of consumable is better than another. (Unless you are looking at a real useless bummer of a consumable.) Usually one welder prefers the one consumable and another welder the other consumable. It's all a matter of opinion.

Regards
Niekie
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 10-20-2001 03:17
Niekie is right of course. Pardon my unprofessional dig toward Lincoln. Lincoln does make some pretty good cellulose-type coated rods, but I prefer others for EXX18 types and stainless. When Airco was in business they made one of the best E7018 electrodes I have ever welded with. I would rank McKay and ESAB's Atom Arc E7018's in the same category, as far as weld quality and welder appeal. But that is my opinion based on my welding style. Others may have just as good reasons for liking other brands.
Parent - By - Date 10-20-2001 19:35
If you don't mind, here's a little tidbit of history on the old Airco E7016.

In the 60's, my chemical company bought ONLY Murex E7016. Our "standard tests" were 2" sch80 & 5" sch 80, low/hy all the way out and radiographed to ASME Sec. IX (EXX10 electrodes weren't allowed for root passes until 1975). Well they quit making (we couldn't get it and were told it was no longer being produced) it in about the late 60's so we switched to Airco. BAD NEWS! I kid you not, the 1/8" was a porosity making phenomenon. Lot after lot was tested by our Welding Engr. Dept. and disgarded. Nobody could trust it, so subsequently, it was literally outlawed from our site (over 250 welders). Welding Engineering switched us to the Linclon E7018's and we actually had better luck with making satisfactory welds in the test booth and in the field then with the Airco E7016!

Airco E7018 could be found at the site during the following years but it's attributes never overcame the sigma of the E7016!

Years later after I became a memeber of the Welding Engr. Dept., I always got a kick out of walking into a contractor's shop or my own company's shops and just by watching the arc reflections off the walls, could tell which one of the two Linclon E7018 electrodes was being used. One had a "strobe" type light pulsation and the other didn't. Few welders liked it because the core would burn back further in the flux coating before the flux would catch up, thus causing the strobe or pulse effect. It had not effect on the weld quality (some complaints during overhead work), just somewhat visually distrurbing (arc) for some of the welders to run.

Many welders swore by the Atom Arc E7018. McKay did not enjoy near the following as Linclon or ESAB at the site of the local contractor shops.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / SMAW rod; is one brand better??