Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Weld Repair
- - By khodabandeh (**) Date 10-05-2008 12:11 Edited 10-06-2008 04:51
Would you please explain that how many times repairing over welded joints is admissible for:
1-Carbon Steel Material
2-Stainless Steel Material
3-Alloy Steel Material
4- Non Ferrous Material
Best Regards,
Omid.R Khodabandeh
Parent - - By raptor34 (**) Date 10-05-2008 16:22
It varies by code, the code i am most familiar with is api-1104 and they allow 2 repair attempts then it is to be cut out. It also may differ by the company that owns the pipeline, some companies only allow 1 attempt.
Parent - - By khodabandeh (**) Date 10-06-2008 04:50 Edited 10-07-2008 06:47
I want to know the reason, becuase I do not thinck that  it is dangerous for carbon steel material. Regarding Carbon-Steel Diagram if changing of the mterial structure may cause some problems,is it correct?
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 10-06-2008 06:10
I am unaware of any limitations on number of repairs within Code and do not work with API 1104 so can't speak knowledgably about that code.  In my experience, these limitations are normally seen in Project Specifications and are based primarily around type of material and what affect mutliple repairs may have on mechanical properties.
Parent - - By Ariel D C (**) Date 10-06-2008 13:20
I agree with Jon
Parent - By Stephan (***) Date 10-06-2008 20:45
So do I...
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 10-08-2008 18:03
Some codes require a specific procedure in case of more than 2 repairs.

Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 10-08-2008 19:42
I believe that AWS D1.5 fracture critical work has similar requirements, but this is the only one I'm familiar with. Is this common in Europe?
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 10-08-2008 19:56
I guess you can say its common, its written in EN 13480, which is the european standard for industrial piping :)

Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 10-08-2008 20:00
so common for power and process piping work, anything for structural?
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 10-08-2008 20:08
Sorry, cant answer that since I dont have a clue about structural steel work.

Parent - - By khodabandeh (**) Date 10-11-2008 16:51
Please explain more.
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 10-11-2008 17:57
Explain more about what?

Parent - - By khodabandeh (**) Date 11-10-2008 13:42
what about sever times repair on the piping and equipment weld?
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 11-10-2008 15:14
A weld defect shall not be repaired more than twice with the same procedure. Any further repair shall be done in
accordance with an approved, modified and documented procedure.

The above is taken from EN13480-4, 10.3

Parent - - By khodabandeh (**) Date 11-09-2011 17:04
According to QW.202.3 of ASME Sec.IX ,the WPS qualified on groove welds shall be applicable for weld repairs to groove welds and fillet welds there are below qestion:
1-It is not required any PQR for repairs and original WPS could be coverd repair procedure' isn't it?
2-In this clause of code not mentined sucession of repairs is prohibited, isn't it?
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 11-10-2011 02:19
Is this a test?
Parent - - By khodabandeh (**) Date 11-10-2011 03:33
Not at all only technical question for clarification the mentined clause of ASME Sec.IX standard code.
Parent - By nantong (**) Date 11-10-2011 07:53
Have a look at the foreword in ASME IX:

This Code contains mandatory requirements, specific
prohibitions, and nonmandatory guidance for construction
activities. The Code does not address all aspects of these
activities and those aspects which are not specifically
addressed should not be considered prohibited. The Code
is not a handbook and cannot replace education, experience,
and the use of engineering judgment
. The phrase
engineering judgment refers to technical judgments made
by knowledgeable designers experienced in the application
of the Code. Engineering judgments must be consistent
with Code philosophy and such judgments must never
be used to overrule mandatory requirements or specific
prohibitions of the Code.

Just because the code does not cover a particular issue does not mean you can do whatever you like. That is why we have Engineers.
Parent - - By ozniek (***) Date 11-10-2011 12:14
Hi Omid

In terms of code requirements, the limitation of repairs would typically be given in the fabrication code. Many codes say nothing about this, so you need to fall back on end-user specifications or "good engineering practice". What the "good engineering practice" would be, depends on a number of issues such as:

1) Does the application require impact properties?
2) The type of material being weld repaired.
3) The criticallity of the application. (Media, pressure, line size, Structure type etc.)
4) The stress levels the component is exposed to.
5) The role of Post Weld Heat Treatment. (PWHT)
5) Practicalities such as distortion.

As such, there is no single answer to your question. Each repair needs to be assessed on its own merits.

If you were to give a specific situation, (Including the issues listed above.) then I could give you my thought process for that particular situation, but to give a broad answer will take much too much time. If you want a code based answer, then look at the code you are working to. (Not just welding code, but fabrication code also.)

Regards
Niekie
Parent - - By khodabandeh (**) Date 11-11-2011 04:09
Dear Niekie,
I agree with you regarding repair and repair of repair but what about Repair WPS & PQR as I underestand accordiong to the QW.202.3 original WPS & PQR is sufficient, it means it is possible to uilize for repair and succession of  repiar therfore it is not required any additional repair WPS & PQR ,is it correct?
Parent - By ozniek (***) Date 11-11-2011 09:49
Hi

As long as the referencing code does not require that a repair procedure be specifically qualified, then the original WPS can be used for the repair according to ASME IX. If there is a "succession of repairs", then good engineering practice must again prevail. Always keep in mind that client specifications may require that repair procedures are qualified.

Regards
Niekie
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Weld Repair