Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / prohibited joint
- - By doyenofcastle (**) Date 10-05-2008 17:02
any one can explain the marked area in the paragraph to me because I can't understand it clearly .this mean that V groove in flat position is forbidden .

note "my native language not english"
Attachment: untitled.bmp (956k)
Parent - - By kipman (***) Date 10-05-2008 17:18
Actually it is stating the opposite.  V-groove welds in butt joints are not prohibited - what is prohibited is a J-groove or bevel groove if it is practical to do a V-groove or U-groove instead.  What is important is the interpretation of the word "practicable".  For instance, if you have a girder flange butting into another girder flange, though it is certainly possible to bevel the edge of the flange of the through girder, it is not practical to do so.  In this case a single bevel groove or a J-groove weld would be acceptable.
Hope this doesn't make it more confusing.
Mankenberg
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 10-05-2008 19:46
your explanation is somewhat confusing to me, not sure what you mean by through girder.
I always took it that both parts of a butt joint need to be beveled if practical. meaning you shouldn't have a square cut plate butting into a plate with 45deg bevel in the flat position(Like a horizontal weld joint could be) unless its not practical to do otherwise.
If I am confusing you I will post a picture monday of what I mean!
Regards, Carl
Parent - - By michael kniolek (***) Date 10-06-2008 00:09 Edited 10-06-2008 00:13
Well it seems that A bevel Groove and J groove should not be used if a v groove or a U groove is possible, a single bevel groove has only 1 side of the base metal prepared or on a double bevel both sides of  the same piece of base metal is prepared, the other piece of the base metal is unprepared still square. The J groove is the same. The V or U grooves has preparation done to both pieces of base metal and it can be double or single. Think about the names of the grooves it indicates the way the joints should look. A quick look at joint configurations may help.
A J groove becomes a  U groove if both pieces of base metal (sides of the joint) are machined or ground a doubble J groove would thave 2 machined areas(same piece of base metal) a U groove has 4 machined surfaces (both pieces of Base metal).
Hope that helps.
i guess that a V or a U should be used, but Not sure if that rules out Belels and J grooves altogether.
MDK
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 10-06-2008 00:32
It  don't rule them out altogether. just where its impractical to bevel both plates(or whatever). I would have to think it would mostly apply to remodel work or where someone screwed up and didn't prepare the edges as needed. for example, If you had a preexisting plate coming through a wall and sticking out 1" and needed to add to that, it would probably be impractical to bevel the plate that only sticks out of the wall 1".
thats the only example I can come up with ATM.
Parent - - By BillC (**) Date 10-06-2008 15:39
There is no commentary to explain the prohibitions.  My guess is that the bevel and J groove configurations are discouraged because of the potential for lack of fusion on the unbeveled, vertical face.
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 10-06-2008 16:51
One reason for the prohibition is because the prohibited joints will not perform well under cyclic loading.  The requirements changed with the release of the 2002 D1.1.  The 2000 edition stated in 2.27.5 Horizontal Position Limitation: "Bevel-groove and J-grooves in butt joints for other than the horizontal position are prohibited". 

2.17.2 of the 2002 edition includes ...."where V-groove or U-groove joints are practicable".  This paragraph in the 2008 edition is still the same as it was then. 

practicable: capable of being done or put into practice with the available means.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / prohibited joint