Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / material for patterns?
- - By uphill (***) Date 10-06-2008 02:01
Any ideas for making large 12-20" full sized patterns? It is impossable to find sturdy reusable material long enough. Gasket material only comes in 36" rolls that I can find.
Thanks
Uphill
Parent - By vagabond (***) Date 10-06-2008 02:19
I'm assuming you are making a set of templates for saddles etc.,  I made some about 7 years ago from an old canvas tarp and I've still got them after I cut them out I took som silicone a put it on the edges to keep them from fraying and so far it's worked.  I had to throw a little Johnsons Paste Wax on them once to loosen them up when they started to get stiff on me but other than that it was a lot cheaper than buying them.  They also have that kind of plastic sheeting in 6' rolls I've seen at the refineries (the green stuff NOT fire blanket) they use it to buildin hootches around the scaffold and stuff.  I'm going to get some of that and make a set someday because it doesn't unravel after you cut it.  If you find something else good be sure to let us know what it is.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 10-06-2008 02:33
Hello uphill, a number of years ago I had a couple of students come in and take a fabrication class from me. They worked at one of the local nukes in the maintenance department. I normally make patterns out of some really heavy kraft paper. They brought in some kraft backed aluminum roll sheeting to show the students some of the patterns that their journeymen used at their shop. I don't know who makes this stuff but I could certainly see some definite advantages to having something like this around. It was 36 or so inches wide and was taken from a large master roll I believe. I'm guessing that the aluminum portion was probably 22 GA. or so. The paper portion of this made drawing anything on it really easy and then you could use tin shears of one sort or another to easily cut the patterns out. I'll see if I can get some pictures to include when I get back to the school on Monday for you to see and better understand what I'm describing. I haven't looked on the internet for it but you might also be able to locate it there. a little something else for your consideration. Best regards, aevald
Parent - - By vagabond (***) Date 10-06-2008 02:43
you should be able to get the  aluminium sheeting w/paper backing from any mechanical insulation company.  I'm pretty sure they use this as well as other stuff for metal jacket insulation.  It comes in 6' rolls.  Good idea, durable to and you can use it on hot stuff.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 10-06-2008 02:47
Hello vagabond, thanks for including that information. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By uphill (***) Date 10-06-2008 10:27
Thank you for replying. I will try the aluminum/paper backed material. I tried some heavy gasket material but it got brittle very fast and it had to be taped together to get it big enough. I know a welder who made a set on smaller templates out of thin rubber drive belting like you would drive an old drill press. He said they were at least 15 years old.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 10-06-2008 15:43
Hello uphill, here are a couple of photos of the stuff that we have at the school that I had mentioned in the other post. Best regards, aevald
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / material for patterns?