Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / State of the industry
- - By Brian Freeman Date 10-06-2008 14:02
Hi, Im currently a student working on a bachelors in automotive technology and lately Ive been thinking about going to a welding school and getting certified after college. Since high scool I have wanted to weld off and on. I took some welding in high school and all I heard was "youll always be able to find work" and "you could easily clear $100K/year". I was wondering if there was any truth to that or just the general state of the industry around the midwest (im in Missouri). Thanks for any help, Brian
Parent - - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 10-06-2008 14:16
you can easily clear over 100g. that is if you stay hooked up.
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 10-06-2008 14:24
Brian, welding is a wonderful career and only you set your limitations.  You can absolutely clear $100K (and much better) depending on your approach and position. 

One of the problems industry is now seeing on a global basis is an enormous shortage of skilled labor.  Why?  Well, for the past 50 years or so, parents, teachers and professionals have been trained to tell young people to be Doctors, Lawyers, Engineer's, etc., get a college education (not bad advice), but of course, not everyone is suited for these professions or educational needs, and who wants to come out with a $250K student loan to repay?  Now then, in the past 10 - 12 years, with the advent of computers and internet, many young people are only interested in office jobs. 

Welding is the only field I've ever known, but I couldn't imagine a better one, it  provides the opportunity for a lifetime of learning and is good, honest work.  What else can I say?

Good luck and stay in touch!!!

EDIT: You may notice my home is in the suburbs of Detroit, I'd lose the idea of automotive technology if I were you.  Just my own humble opinion!
Parent - By BryonLewis (****) Date 10-06-2008 16:11
Hey Brian,
Where are you in Missouri.  I have been welding in manufacturing her in the Kansas City area since 1992.  I was just laid off last Thursday with no warning.  I would suggest looking into a Union.  I am going out to the Piperfitters here in a minute and see what they can do.  I have never been in the Union.  I am always on this forum, even more since last week, to find some "answers".  I don't know how old you are but me being 37 with kids, family, house and ever growing bills, its hard.  All the posts that I have read have helped me, at least mentally to keep on keepin' on.  Good luck!!!
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 10-06-2008 16:19
Brian,

Welding is like any career. It's intimidating, but once you have some experience under your belt the sky is the limit. If you want to choose a profession where there isn't much real competition, this is it.
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 10-06-2008 19:57
Do you weld?
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 10-08-2008 18:40
You know it. 19 years in the field.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-08-2008 20:52
Are you saying i'm no competiton to you lol
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 10-10-2008 00:52
Shad, you got it all wrong, see! ( foghorn leghorn ).

I was talking to  3.2 inspector dude. He, (in reference to question "do you weld"). Was coming back at me with the same question. Just wanted him to know that I could have done his job 10 years ago.

Fortunately for me I like to run my own show...........................
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-10-2008 00:57
lol i was referring to your reply to brian and just giving you a hard time trying to get a rise out of ya you have calmed down in your old age i kinda miss the old sully it made for good entertainment anyway i know i'm no competition to you but i'd give it my best shot
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 10-10-2008 00:58
Shad, you got it all wrong, see! ( foghorn leghorn ).

I was talking to  3.2 inspector dude. He, (in reference to question "do you weld"). Was coming back at me with the same question. If the money was better. I could read books for a living...................................

Fortunately for me I like to run my own show...........................
Parent - By medicinehawk01 (**) Date 10-08-2008 22:55
There is plenty of work for everybody and I believe as time goes on it will get even better. I have been in the trade for over 20 years and have always had work. I may have had to travel to get it, but it was there. You can make 100G's if you own your rig and get hooked-up with the right people. As a single hand (like myself), it will be more diffcult to make that kind of money......but it can be done. Nowadays with per diem, you can easily make 80+ and not spend much of your money to get to the jobs. I weld pipe in the  heavy construction industry and there are plenty of contractors looking for hands. IF you are good........ you stay busy. If you are getting experience as you go along, it will take time to get established, but once you do (and are confident taking pipe welding tests) you can go anywhere in this great country. I am not in a union nor am I a rig hand so I cannot speak of what I do not know, but I suppose there are pros & cons in either worlds.
I like welding and I got into it pretty early so I am pretty confident with my skills. I have been with the same contractor for over 1/2 my career, but if they folded up tomorrow, I would be working the next day. There is that much demand for qualified welders. If you like what you do, you will get good at it. If you like your trade, don't make real stupid mistakes.........you can go on for a long time.
My 2 cents.

Be well,

Hawk
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-10-2008 01:01
when i started welding in the oil field i made 90 in 9 months i was never home but i made the jack the following yr i made 120,000 once again always gone but nevr went with out any toys the 3rd year well most of us know what happened that year and i only made 85,000 the next yr all hell broke loose and i made about 20,000 but thats a long story yes you can make 100k a yr bubr ready to be gone and like stated in another post if the phone rings at 2 am you go never say no and they will call you again
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / State of the industry