Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Mini Cup an Jumbo cup
- - By Cody Cook Date 10-06-2008 16:58
I am having problems putting a rooy in 2in heavy wall tube with a jumbo cup.  I can put in a root with a mini rig great but get suckback or to much fill with a big rig I seem to figure why im having problems I adjust heat in put the rod on the inside but still cant figure it out any feedback would b great
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 10-06-2008 17:29
A little better punctuation on your question might be helpful.
Parent - - By Cody Cook Date 10-06-2008 18:05
Sorry I didnt know I was on a grammar and punctuation website I will clarify.  I work for Fluor global an i mostly work outages and i currently want to new construction and had to re-test.  I tested on 2" hvy wall tube an Sch 40 pipe i tested out with a number 8 jumbo cup and never previously welded tubes with a rig with a jumbo cup i am used to used to welding with a mini rig on waterwall tubes an division panels. My 2" root barely passed an my sch 40 got looked out i was gettin suckback.  I praticed with low heat and higher heat from 60 to 120 i dont understand how a can make a wedding band root with a mini and get just plan ugly results with the bigger cups either suckback or dogba**ing any timps would be very helpful cause going to a tubie to a junk iron welder is very fustrating hahah sorry if i seemed rude just looking for advice
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 10-06-2008 18:46
Not a grammer and punctuation website, but it helps when trying to understand what someone is saying. Never was a fan of the stuff myself, but its funny how clarity happens when you use it properly.
There is nothing inherent in big cups that turns wedding bands into ugly.
But I'm still not clear on much of your meaning. When you say jumbo are you talking gas lense cups or just larger than would be the case with smaller torches?
Did you change tungstn size?
Filler feed rate? (common suckback issue)
Travel speed? (common suckback issue)
Manual manipulation?
Torch angle?
Parent - By Cody Cook Date 10-06-2008 19:07
Its pretty much the bigger gas lense an the bigger pipe cup with 1/8 collet, an what I call a mini is with the smaller lense and with 3/32 im used to being crammed up in a tube bundle or mirror welds and really had no use for a big torch and never used one.  Now I guess for what they call combo welder that what you got to test with is a big rig.  And with filler and travel speed is what my problem is with the bigger torches I think  cause im used to going faster with the smaller rigs.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Mini Cup an Jumbo cup