Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / vibration
- - By CK Welding (**) Date 10-07-2008 00:49
I was welding a peace of 8" on the end of a manifold that had vibration from water injection pumps runing.  I was wondering if this vibration hurts the intagety of the weld in any way?
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 10-07-2008 21:11
Yes, it does.
At the pump discharge you should install a flexible joint, a cheap fitting, to absorb vibrations coming from the pump.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By CK Welding (**) Date 10-08-2008 03:28
even at 4000psi?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-08-2008 04:35
Hello CK;

Are you experiencing vibration during welding or is the system subject to vibration once placed into service?

A weld that is subject to vibration can experience two different phenomena. Depending on the frequency and amplitude, the weld can crack as it passes through the mushy state during solidification. The weld is neither completely liquid, nor is it completely solid at this stage of solidification. Solidification initiates along the existing grain boundaries of the base metal in the HAZ. As the weld solidification proceeds toward the center-line of the weld it can reach a point where the center portion of the weld is mushy and it has very little strength. Vibration with high amplitude can cause cracking to occur.

Some studies suggest that if the vibration and amplitude is "just right" the vibrations can relax the stresses that occur during solidification when the phase change from liquid to solid causes the weld to shrink. The shrinkage is different from contraction. Shrinkage is due to the phase change, contraction is due to the cooling of the solidified weld from high temperature to ambient temperature.

If the system is subject to vibration during service, the welds, the HAZ, and the base metal will be subject to fatigue cracking as our good friend Giovanni suggests.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 10-08-2008 20:47 Edited 10-08-2008 20:49
Al,
CK Welding says that the vibration happens when the water injection pumps are running. So, in my opinion, vibration occurs when the equipment is put in service.

CK Welding,
Check with a flexible joint manufacturer in your country (USA). In the meantime, I'll check into my catalogs and with local (Brazilian) manufacturers.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - - By CK Welding (**) Date 10-08-2008 22:30
This is an extention to a manifold in wich is shut in at the time of the weld so the vibration is lower but, there are other pumps running that are connected to the manifold but the valves are shut so there isn't fluid running though it on the end where the weld is preformed.  There is a vibration on the pipe during the weld process, and even more vibration after the process.  Thanks for your responses.  P.S  "So far the weld has held for about a week."
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-08-2008 22:45
Hello CK;

After responding to your inquiry this morning I happened upon Bonal Technologies' booth here at FabTech. They have a web site that might provide some additional insight on how the weld puddle responds to vibration while solidifying. I haven't checked it out yet, I just got back to the hotel. I must have walked twenty miles today. OK, so that might be a slight exaggeration, it was only nineteen miles!

Here's Bonal's website:   www.bonal.com

Giovanni, it sounds like we have a combination question that involves both of our assumptions. Good to hear from you!

Best regards - Al
Parent - By SPARKYCA (**) Date 10-11-2008 02:35
Hi CK ,  We sometimes have the same problem  with vibration from water pumps around here.  Some things I've found to help out are : going to heavy wall pipe ( schedule 160 or XXH ), and using E- 7018 for all passes after the bead.  Also having the spools stress relieved in an oven, but this is sometimes not readily available and of course it costs money.  Installing extra pipe supports also helps in my opinion as they can reduce vibration. A lot of the pumps here also have had a pulsation dampner bottle on top of a tee bolted to the discharge head of the pump. I would try to avoid welding anything under vibration if at all possible.  I spent a few days of my honeymoon in wyoming - It was beutiful there.  - WS
Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 10-10-2008 18:03
In a wohler diagram you are able to see the "fatigue limit" below that limit the material will not crack, regardless of number of cycles.

Materials such as Aluminum and its alloys has not limit.

Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 10-10-2008 17:49
A simple support can solve the potential problem.

Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 10-10-2008 19:16
I disagree with you. Piping supports are foreseen to support weight, not to absorb vibration.
Vibration is absorbed by flexible joints or, if they're not feasible, by pigtails. Pigtails, however, are possible in small diameter piping (say 1 inch or 25 mm maximum).
This could be a solution to CK's problem if he's unable to find vibration joints that can withstand 4000 psig pressure. 
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 10-10-2008 20:28
Giovanni,
I agree that piping supports also are foreseen to support weight :)
I also hold on to my statement that they also serve as "preventing the pipe from vibrating"
Ofcourse it will depend on the source of vibration, etc...

API 570 describes supports as a possibility to avoid vibration induced cracking(they also mention vibration dampening equipment)

Yes, flexible joints are also a great way to absorb vibration, but as you mention its not always feasible.

Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / vibration