Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Dimensional tolerances
- - By DWCO (*) Date 10-07-2008 14:57
  All, I am looking for the governing body/spec as it were for the dimensional tolerances of  plate, structural shapes, channel etc.  Further, how does it relate to D1.1. My quality plan has a requirement for incoming inspection of materials. However, the details are a bit vauge. I am trying to shore it up with a Code, Spec, etc...

Thanks in advance!!
Parent - By Bill M (***) Date 10-07-2008 15:08
Good start:
Check out ASTM A6,  "Specifications for General Requirements for Rolled Structural Steel Bars, Plates, Shapes, and Sheet Piling"

This should apply unless you have add'l specific requirements in your purchase order.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-07-2008 15:24
Bill is correct....ASTM A6 is the spec that most AISC certified structural fab shops receive their steel in accordance to.

also as Bill mentioned about requirements on your purchase order....material for columns, I would also specify on the purchase order to the mill, that the shapes you need to use for columns will be used as columns...this will save you time straightening....shapes used as beams or other needs can have a certain amount of sweep and camber allowed even if purchased in accordance with A6.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Dimensional tolerances