Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.1 AND D1.3
- - By 100perpen (*) Date 10-07-2008 16:49
We have a customer who has us doing some work for the military and postal service. They are asking us to weld to D1.1 and D1.3.
Most of what we weld here is 1/8" (D1.3) however we have welded up to 1" material. All of our operators are qualified to weld D1.3 and we have qualified operators to D1.1 when welding over 1/8".
There are some weldments that have nuts welded to .1793 7GA. The welds are GMAW .750 long at 12:00 and 6:00 on the nut. The wall if the nut is .500 thick. Do we need to inspect and document to D1.1 when welding the nut to the 7ga?
Our Engineer believes the work requires the operators to be qualified to D1.3 with no requirement for documented inspection by the CWI.
My position is this is D1.1 code work and the CWI should be inspecting and documenting to the D1.1 and D1.3 codes.

Any thoughts???
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 10-07-2008 18:33
100perpen ,
By the code you should qualify a procedure because the base metal (nut) is not a prequalified material. But what I have done in the past is write a welding procedure and submit it for the engineer to approve. Your welders should be qualified to weld as you have stated "All of our operators are qualified to weld D1.3 and we have qualified operators to D1.1 when welding over 1/8".". The requirement for visual inspection should come from the job specifications.
Parent - By jerrykroll (**) Date 10-10-2008 22:21
for what it's worth - D1.3 also provides for welding of sheet steel to structural steel  - I don't think there is any maximum for
thickness of structural. (I know the base metal (nut) isn't structural, but just in reference to the "thickness".
Parent - By Ke1thk (**) Date 11-06-2008 21:34
100perpen

D1.3 is pretty easy to become certified to (no tension or bend tests).  The tests are simply to weld and destroy two three-inch squares in a vise with a hammer.  Many of the tests require only a one-inch weld.  Very basic. 

I would encourage your welders to become D1.1 certified as well.  Impress your customers with all documents.  Auditors like to see in house training.

Good luck.   
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.1 AND D1.3