Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / N.A.C.E. test and cert. questions??
- - By vagabond (***) Date 10-09-2008 22:03
Anybody got this one??  Just curious as to what's involved, my new employer has a lot of tanks in addition to piping and they are responsible for the coating(s) inspections.  So I'll be heading back to school shortly.  I will probably be scheduled for 653 too I think,  but I am more familiar with the body of knowledge for it than the NACE stuff. 
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-10-2008 01:35
I went through the NACE CIP course a couple years ago. I will say that it is a very thorough and intense week long seminar with a day full of testing at the end. You must pass all 3 parts of the exam to become certified...they don't have a cert like AWS does with the CAWI....you either make it or you don't. 1st part is the base of knowledge exam, 2nd part is an inspection log book with required elements, lastly was the hands on practical where you had 7 pieces of test equipment that you had to use at 7 different stations and answer all of the questions. Be prepared for long classes everyday....the instructors are willing to stay after everyday to help with questions and help you work with the testing equipment. I went with another guy from my shop and he didn't pass the first time, I sent him again this past year along with another supervisor and neither of them passed last year either....so...I'm the only one certified at my shop as of today. They issue you a 5" binder and they go over every sheet of paper in that binder in one week.
Parent - - By vagabond (***) Date 10-10-2008 01:39
Sounds like a ball. . . . at least this time someone else is paying the tab,  thanks for the info.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-10-2008 11:08
I just attended/passed the NACE CIP level I....I still have the NACE CIP Level II and a NACE Peer Review yet to go....uggh.
Parent - By DKUMPUNEN (*) Date 10-20-2008 00:10
   I recently retired from US NAVY civil service as QA in shipbuilding.We did a lot of paint coating inspections.
I still have my NAVSEA BASIC PAINT INSPECTOR cert. and it states SSPC LEVEL 2.I have since gone back to
work for a sub contractor supporting the SUP SHIP QA TEAM.Basically just changed contracts.
   Any way here in PASCAGOULA NAVSEA teaches their own BASIC PAINT INSPECTOR course.I got my cert
in 1999 in NORFOLK,VA.The pass/fail rate here on the NAVSEA course is not good.The last class of SUP
SHIP people was only 4 passed out of 13.I know these guys personally and they are not dummies.I personally
think the testing maybe too hard for whats needed on the job.The NAVY wants their people to be certified
in paint coatings and other areas at SUP SHIP.

DONK
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / N.A.C.E. test and cert. questions??