Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Seismic Qualified Electrode
- - By drewp29 (**) Date 10-10-2008 20:30
Hello all, I was wondering if anyone knows of a metal-cored electrode that is qualified to either FEMA 353, AWS D1.8, or AISC Seismic Design parameters. Most larger companies carry flux-cored electrode that fulfills the requirements, but in our experience you MUST backgouge and backweld a CJP joint welded only with FC wire in order to pass a UT. The issue we are having is that normally all CJP welds that are welded from one side in our shop have the root pass performed with metal-cored electrode with about a 75/25 Ar to CO2 mix. This eliminates the need for a backgouge because the root will not have porosity or inclusions present that are common with root passes done with FC and 100% CO2. Now, we would gladly backgouge if the situation allowed, but the area is tight. We would have to cut away necessary areas, then backgouge, then reweld the removed material back in place in order to pass the UT with only FCAW.

I'm hoping someone out there knows of an MC wire that is qualified as I have talked with several reps from different companies to no avail.

Somebody help me out here as it would make my life a whole lot easier . . . ha!  Thanks.

Andrew Panariso
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 10-10-2008 21:31
drewp29 ,
I'm not sure if your aware but making a weld from one side without backing or back gouging is not prequalified. It will require the qualification of a procedure in accordance with clause 4 of AWS D1.1.
Parent - - By drewp29 (**) Date 10-10-2008 21:58
Yes, I am aware that this will require qualification, and qualification of our welders to the new WPS (per weld profile, wire diam., wire type, heat input, and all that jazz) . . . and yet, even though qualifying the WPS and the welders is an ordeal in itself, the new qualification would allow us to perform the same procedure on future projects. So, it is worth it to do this. Whereas exposing the areas that need a backgouge and then replacing the material is on a project to project basis . . . and amounts to a lot more work in the end. Thanks!

Andrew
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 10-10-2008 22:16
This sounds like it could be a welder technique issue. To the best of my knowledge, FCAW-S can make a UT quality weld if welded from one side or without backing.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Seismic Qualified Electrode