Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / GMAW downhill vertical
- - By Scooter Tramp Date 10-19-2001 23:49
I would like to know if there is any reason why a welder should not be able to qualify running downhill. After all, most fabricators weld that way
anyway. Using D1.1 I can't find anything that forbids it. I checked the filler metal code for carbon steel & low alloy steel GMAW, It doesn't specify which direction say ER70S-6 should be run.
Through my 25+ years in the welding field, testing was always done uphill
for GMAW, why? I realize that you get better penetration uphill but, If a welder passes an RT or DT downhilling I see no reason not to do it.
I'm not even going to get into short arc vs globular or pulse or spray for
this posting we'll assume it's not short arc.
Parent - - By DGXL (***) Date 10-20-2001 16:33
The D1.1 does limit vertical welding to an upward progression unless tubular products are welded. Tubulars permit upward/downward progression, but only for the direction the welder qualified.
(Ref: D1.1:2000, 3.7.1)
Parent - - By Scooter Tramp Date 10-21-2001 00:33
Ok DGXL, I missed that 3.7.1 in D1.1. So let's say a welder tests on a 6G
gmaw downhill and passes, 6G qualifies you for plate (in the progression you qualified). Are you now qualified to weld plate downhill?
Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 10-21-2001 22:31
No.
Parent - - By dasimonds (**) Date 10-20-2001 17:31
How does the GMAW downhill hold up under a bend test?
Dale Simonds
Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 10-21-2001 22:39
GMAW welds hold up under mechanical testing as well as any other arc welded test specimen when workmanship, technique and WPS parameters are adhered to. It is a D1.1 code-prequalified process. (Please note this does not include GMAW-S.)

I have qualified about 30 welders at one shop alone using the GMAW process. Have also qualified personnel and procedures with this process in spray, globular, pulsed and short circuiting arc transfer. GMAW is very popular in fab shops due to minimal cleaning compared to processes using slag systems.
Parent - By Kamaruzaman (*) Date 11-06-2001 14:18
Have you check the heat input. Deposited weld metal of verticle down is to fast. May be not controlable, lack of fusion will easily happen and ratio of weld bead thickness to width is not in good factor.

May be these the case vertical down progression is not allowed.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / GMAW downhill vertical