Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / FILLET WELD QUALIFICATION
- - By miguel P (*) Date 10-20-2001 21:36
I have some problems with welder´s qualification on 2F position. According to AWS D1.1 table 4.9 (figure 4.36) the weld size must have 5/16 inch. when we do this test, the welders have no defects, but sometimes we need to do fillet weld over this size (example: multipass fillet weld 1/2 inch) and the welders don´t do this, they don´t pass the minimum fillet profile requiremets of AWs D1.1 (figure 5.4). is there any special test for this type of welding?
Parent - By rhoople (*) Date 10-08-2002 19:02
Miguel, Here is what I do to qualify people to 2F welding. According to AWS D1.1-2002 you qualify them to a groove weld, note 3 states; "also qualifies for welding any fillet or PJP weld size on any thickness of plate, pipe or tubing". It's in table 4.10 of this edition.
Parent - - By R. Johnson (**) Date 10-11-2002 12:10
Once a welder passes a fillet weld test per figure 4.36 the welder is qualified to weld on unlimited base metal thickness and the size of the fillet weld the welder may place is also unlimited. The profile problems you are encountering are a result of poor welding technique. Just have them practice their bead placement and shape control. I am sure they can eventually make acceptable multipass fillet welds.
Parent - - By Wildturkey (**) Date 10-11-2002 17:01
Just a note to Mr. Johnson's reply. Table 3.7 does limit the maximum single pass fillet weld for a prequalified WPS. But multi-pass weld size is unlimited. My interpretation of figure 4.36 is a minimum weld size of 5/16" (all other dimensions are minimum) therefore I have the welders make 3 passes with all stringers having a start and stop near the center. If anyone has any objections to this please post your opinion.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-11-2002 19:32
We do the same thing for 1/2" fillets.(3 - 5/16" stringers)
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / FILLET WELD QUALIFICATION