Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / HAIR GEL COUPLANT
- - By franciscocl7 (*) Date 10-13-2008 00:07
Does anybody know how hair gel affects the results in an UT inspection?
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 10-13-2008 10:26
in a pinch, I'm sure it would, just be sure to calibrate the unit with it beforehand.
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 10-13-2008 14:30
As long as it isn't the same type of hair jel used by Mary in the movie "There's Something About Mary".
Parent - - By kipman (***) Date 10-14-2008 12:56
Scott,
How do you know that won't work?
Mankenberg
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 10-14-2008 13:33
It's a stronger adhesive.  One squeeze glued the heel back on my workboot, fixed the handle on my wife's coffee cup, and re-attached the weather stripping on my neighbor's Volkswagen.   
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-15-2008 12:43
[quote]One squeeze glued the heel back on my workboot, fixed the handle on my wife's coffee cup, and re-attached the weather stripping on my neighbor's Volkswagen. [/quote]

Bwhahahaha!...I don't think I will touch this one with a ten foot pole.  
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 10-14-2008 16:10
Hey!  I'm using Holiday Inn Express hair shampoo with my UT Thickness gauge.  I only use this because the little tube that it comes in fits in the case with the instrument, and I use so little when making spot thickness measurements.  I virtually live in Motels, so it was available.  I can tell you that Tide Liquid soap works well with shear wave.
Parent - - By kipman (***) Date 10-15-2008 12:35
So what are you saying, Joe?  That you're not a UT guy but you did stay at a Holiday Inn last night?
Mankenberg
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-15-2008 12:41
I think this is a "sticky" issue....LOL...I suppose that if you were able to calibrate with it and it remained the same consistancy until you were finished inspecting, then it might be possible to use hair gel as a couplant?...I dunno....never tried it, all speculation on my part.
Parent - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 10-15-2008 13:07
Kipman

Welllllll, to be totally correct that is Holiday Inn EXPRESS!
Parent - - By thirdeye (***) Date 11-05-2008 19:23

In the old days doing thickness testing on water wall & pendants in power plants, we used Dippity-Do by the case.  The regular pink colored, not the extra strength green.  The customer specified it for non-contamination issues.  You get about 10 inspectors in there working and that whole boiler would smell like a beauty shop....

~thirdeye~
Parent - - By Bill M (***) Date 11-10-2008 17:12
Wow that's wierd ...I remember doing the same thing thirdeye.   You are not in Wisconsin are you?
Parent - - By thirdeye (***) Date 11-11-2008 03:39
No, I'm in Wyoming.  We worked pretty much in the Rockies
Parent - By Jim12 (**) Date 11-12-2008 14:10
My counter part likes to use clean gear oil and it sure makes a mess even if cleaned with a mild solvent, sometimes its to cold here to use couplant that doesn't have an additive to keep it from freezing.
Parent - - By trapdoor (**) Date 11-18-2008 01:44
I met a guy once doing thickness readings on boiler tubes whe was using molassas.
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 11-18-2008 05:52
Along these same lines, in a pinch (for undocumented, personal use ONLY), a can of flat white spray paint (rattle cans) works as a developer for dye penetrant.
The cleaner always runs out first, then the developer, and for some reason there is always an ample supply of penetrant (plenty left over to coat pad locks, hammer handles, helmet liners etc.....).
Parent - - By jacobs73944 Date 07-12-2009 20:11
"AWS D1.5, 6.19.4 & AWS D1.1, 6.26.4: A couplant material shall be used between the search unit and the test material. The couplant shall be either glycerin or a cellulose gum and water mixture of a suitable consistency. A wetting agent may be added if needed. Light machine oil may be used for couplant on calibration blocks". I saw an inspector use Pam. Ive had to argue with one shop that was using water squirted on with a bottle sprayer. If allowed by the client engineer then go for it otherwise AWS gives you no wiggle room. Jeff
Parent - - By thcqci (***) Date 07-13-2009 15:57
I got my start in this industry doing thickness gaging in shipyards back in the 80's.  We used the cheapest hand lotion you could buy.  Reasons were that 1) cheap (obviously); 2) it dried to a powder when done so we did not have to remove it for re-painting; and 3) already in convenient squirt bottle although we often put it into smaller, pocket size bottles when tank climbing; 4) kept hand moisturized.  Worked well.  Went to drug store and bought by case, often for less than a buck a bottle. 
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-13-2009 22:03
Any liquid will work. Immersion testing uses a tank of water with additives such as surfactants and biocides, but still it is basically water.

I've used KY jelly in a pinch many times. No, not for that you silly people, as UT couplant!

How many of you have used petroleum jelly in the bed room? I found it works great. I used to put some on the bedroom door knob so the kids couldn't open the door in the morning! My wife and I could get a few minutes of extra sleep with that trick!

Best regards - Al
- - By jacobs73944 Date 06-22-2011 18:59
Do any of you yin yangs read the code book. What a bunch of **** birds. Jeff
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-22-2011 19:50
No Jeff, this yin yang didn't take time to read ALL of the D1.X's before answering to see what was allowed or not...sorry.
Parent - - By RANDER (***) Date 06-22-2011 20:07
Not sure if anyone referenced an AWS code as part of the question.  Guess the world will have to rethink the whole immersion UT thingy
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-23-2011 03:38
My guess is Jeff has limited experience in UT to any standard other than AWS D1.X codes.

Sorry Jeff that your experience is so limited.

It was correctly noted that the original post didn't reference any specific welding standard other than to post it under the subject of D1. I guess Jeff just assumed that the questions are limited to D1.X welding standards.

Sorry Jeff. You know what they say when you "assume" something to be true.

Al
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-23-2011 14:29
According to 'Jeff's' profile, he first signed up here in '02.  He then posts in this thread in '09 for his first post.  Then, TWO YEARS later makes his second post in the same thread blasting others who had commented in the thread for lack of knowledge.

Jeff,  sorry no one had the decency to acknowledge your great and deep pearls of wisdom offered in the original thread two years ago.  Was it really worth dredging up an old thread in order to try to show off your great understanding of all things AWS D1.1???

Get a life.  If there is something worth noting here, please share it. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
- - By jbndt (**) Date 07-03-2011 00:21
In a way, it’s all relative.

I had the same issue with a tech using water in a spray bottle with just a pinch of powdered cellulose gum on beam and column splices and moment connections … The reply being, “they don’t say how much”. (At the time, he, a Level III and me, a trainee!)

Unfortunately, AWS is sometimes clear as mud … As are a LOT of other codes!
If you have a burning desire (no real life) you need to go to ASTM 03.03 for a better answer.

Penned in the back of an old D1.1 … Because I didn’t have a life ;-) 

Couplants – ASTM 03.03  

E 484-05 - 6.1.3 - “Most liquids will not support transverse waves.”
(I guessed that might be reasonably important because I wrote it out.)

E 587-00 - 6.1.3.1 – Table 1 - “Suitable Consistency”

E - Illegible numbers - Position - Flat, horizontal, vertical, and, over-head.
(1G, 2G, 3G and 4G couplants … It’s now a joke at the shop!)

I suppose it wouldn’t hurt to refresh my memory when I get back to the shop on Tuesday.

Getting back to the OP’s question.

My guess is that you would have to run a number of tests with ‘real couplant’ and the hair gel to get a correlation between the two.
And then, have the Level III incorporate it into your procedure.   (CYA!!)

Cheers,
jb
Parent - - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 07-04-2011 14:08
Thats like A DFT (Dry film thickness gage) i read that a Bill (20) i think has a .004 (read it years back) can be used to verify accuracy......But Id never use that method for anything critical.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 07-23-2011 02:28
I just want to know if you UT guys prefer Dapper Dan or FOP hair treatment?
Parent - - By joe pirie (***) Date 07-23-2011 15:02
afro sheen
Parent - By 99205 (***) Date 07-23-2011 18:15
Dippity-Do
- By jbndt (**) Date 07-23-2011 18:46
As I recall, DEP came in a larger tub and cost the same as Dippity-Do.

Cheers,
jb
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / HAIR GEL COUPLANT