Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Deposit Weld Metal
- - By Peter IWE Date 10-14-2008 09:46
Hello.
First of all, I apologize for my english:) I`m still learning.

Could you clarify me what should I write in WPS, in column "deposit weld matal", if our PQR is qualified for two welding methods: 141 ( 5mm) and 111 (5,97mm), pipe dimensions: 6` SCH80.
I don`t understand how to share the range of deposit weld matal between this two methods.

Thak you for your help.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-15-2008 14:13
Each deposition would be treated separately.

Let's say you welded the sample for the PQR by depositing the root bead using E6010 (F3) electrode with SMAW. Then you completed the joint using E71T-1 (F6) with FCAW. The WPS would list the range deposited with the F3 electrode and then it would list the range deposited with F6 electrode based on the thickness deposited when welding the sample used to qualify the procedure, i.e., the PQR.

When qualifying the procedure; if the root bead(s) deposited with the F3 electrode was 1/4 inch thick you would list the range on the WPS based on the thickness of the root bead deposited on the test plate, you would be qualified for 1/16 to 1/2 inch max. Assuming the deposited thickness of the weld metal using the F6 electrode was 3/8 inch, you would list 1/16 to 3/4 inch max on the WPS. The total thickness you would be qualified for would be 1 1/4 inch

The sample forms provided by ASME in Section IX do not lend themselves to multiprocess welding. You need to develop your own forms for that purpose.

I have attached a "sample" that may lend itself to what you are trying to do. You would need additional pages to list all the remaining variables that haven't been addressed on the first page of the sample I attached.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 10-15-2008 19:20
you worked for them too, Al? :)
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-15-2008 19:37
The pay wasn't the best, the the bennies were sweeeet!

Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Deposit Weld Metal