Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Shield Gas
- - By cfrancis (**) Date 10-14-2008 14:32
We are looking at some Military contracts. I received all the applying procedures for this work. They are specifying a shield gas for carbon steel GMAW that Im not familiar with at all??

It is :  78% Ar / 18% He / 4% Co2.

Does anyone have experience with this shielding type ? I have not contacted our supplier for it's availability as of yet.

Thank you in advance
Parent - - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 10-14-2008 19:46
This type of gas mix is usually for welding stainless, but it does work on carbon steel too.  I would think it would be about 2x per cylinder higher in price than ar/co2 mixtures.  It is normal for government contract documents to have questionable call-outs like this one.  It sometimes is really hard (or impossible) to get them to change the print, but they are sometimes good about issuing deviations if you ask for it in writing.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-15-2008 14:23
Depending on the type of work you are doing and what military standards apply, you typically have to qualify your own welding procedures. In which case, you can use what ever works best for you as long as you qualify it properly.

May we ask what welding standard is being imposed?

Best regards - Al
Parent - By cfrancis (**) Date 10-15-2008 14:29
Good morning.  The weld spec they are calling for is " TMLS2000". On their PQR's and WPS's they sent me, this is what is listed under "specification(s)".
They are telling me I can use their procedures and qualify my people to them. They did send me all of their appropriate wps's and pqr's etc.. There are several procedures they sent me, both for Ballistic armor plate and Ballistic Aluminum plate.
Parent - By cfrancis (**) Date 10-15-2008 14:30
I also saw MIL-STD-248c level 1  listed as well.
Parent - - By cfrancis (**) Date 10-15-2008 14:25
OK--Thank you very much for the info !!
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-15-2008 14:38
If TP248 is imposed, the transfer of WPSs from one company to another is not permitted unless certain restrictions are met.

I hate to say it, but most "buyers" and "contract administers" don't know Jack about welding or  military standards. Just because they tell you to use their WPSs doesn't make it right. You can leave yourself wide open to some unpleasant repercussions.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By cfrancis (**) Date 10-15-2008 14:51
Thank you for this information. We will be speaking with their people in a week or two and I intend to discuss these matters at length.
I really appreciate your input. Feel free to keep in coming,,it is all very helpful!
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Shield Gas